For many Spartans, it’s game hard or go home

After watching a pro basketball or football game on their 70-inch HDTV and getting those competitive juices flowing, today’s sports fan can’t wait to replay the action through 2K Sports or Madden NFL.

As with every holiday season, video games are sure to be popular gifts. The new versions of the 2K and Madden series are always two of the most prominent titles.

NBA 2K11 (Michael Jordan on the cover) and Madden ’11 (Drew Brees on the cover) are two of the most popular sports games out this year, and are sure to make the wish-list of many sports fans. These games are especially popular among athletes who want to be able to enjoy their sport all the time.

“[We like the games] because we love our sports so much,” said senior Cody Cashman. “We can’t wait to get back on the field.”

Critics argue that these games tend to be repetitive and it’s not worth buying the new version every year. However, fans say that the best part of purchasing the newest title is the new features that they offer.

“I like the fluidity,” said Cashman. “And I always like better graphics, it makes the games look more realistic.”

Madden NFL ’11 offers a new game play called “GameFlow,” which allows plays to be selected based on the game situation, such as kicking a PAT. The user can choose the selected play or choose their play through the classic playbook style selection

It also offers different game presentations, where the user can choose to play in the Breast Cancer Awareness game, or simulate a Super Bowl game using any two teams.

Along with the usual improved graphics and the option to play games that are occuring and have occured in real life, NBA 2K11 features Michael Jordan for the first time ever.

It also features a more in-depth “My Player” mode, where users can create their own player and make their way through training camp and eventually play in the NBA.

“I like how when you create a player, their stats change based on their performance,” said junior Caleb Snow. “It’s also cool how the player’s performance changes based on how they’re doing in real life.”

The holiday season is also one that inevitably leads to seeing relatives that are seldom seen the rest of the year and we all know,  there is nothing more satisfying than using technology in front of an old person.

“I like when an old person walks in the room and says, ‘I didn’t know there was a game on,’ and I tell them, ‘it’s a video game,’” said Cashman.