Stardom eludes WS athletes

Over the years, WS has had its share of notable alumni. Professional baseball player Joe Saunders and NASA astronaut Patrick Forrester are just two of the many successful former Spartans.

But for every successful WS graduate, there are several whose high school glory days are gone upon graduating. 

Perhaps the most famous Spartan in recent years was ’07 graduate Peter Lalich. Lalich was one of the best high school quarterbacks in the country, and took part in the elite eleven quarterback competition.

Lalich received a full athletic scholarship to play football at the University of Virginia, where he got playing time as a freshman. At the beginning of his sophomore year, he was slated to be a starter when he had several run-ins with the law and was kicked off the team. After a short stint as the backup quarterback at Oregon State University, he was arrested for boating under the influence and was again booted from the squad.

Lalich has since transferred to California University of Pennsylvania, a Division II school not known for football. He is using a redshirt year and is not listed on the roster. He will have one final year of eligibility to redeem his once promising career.

Lalich was not the only phenom to emerge from the class of ’07; basketball player Kevin Kilday finished his career as the all-time leader in steals and 3 pointers while being named first team all-northern region his senior year.

Kilday led the Spartans to a 20-7 record and a berth in the regional playoffs at the Patriot Center.

After dominating visiting opponents in “the pit,” Kilday took his game to the next level, joining the team at Radford as a walk on. But Kilday did not see any action, and ended up quitting the team because of his lack of playing time.

Not all Spartan stars have seen their stardom fade away; Graduate Jeremy Kapinos was an All-American punter at Penn State before joining the Green Bay Packers, and Joe Saunders has become famous as an All-Star pitcher for the Diamondbacks. But he wasn’t always the star he is now.

“I used to play catch with him when I was a kid,” said junior Andrew Koenig, whose babysitter happened to be Saunders’ high school sweetheart. “He was always really nice.”