Managing time and a team

Photo courtesy of Anna Bonavita

Managers Anna Bonavita and Hannah Keine pose for a picture at a 2014 football game. The managers dedictae their afternoons and Friday nights to the team.

Caroline Wittich, Sports Editor

Spectators at sports games get to see the action on the field, but there is so much more to athletics than the players, there is major organization needed to get the players on their “A game.
A considerable amount of the behind the scenes action occurs thanks to the student managers.
The managers on athletic teams are appointed for their position in multiple ways. Some become managers because it is an alternative position if they didn’t make the team.
Others take the position because they are injured and can’t play. But no matter the reason, managers take the job to support the team and help everything run smoother for the season.
They are much appreciated by both the players and the coaches for their dutifulness towards the team. “They help us keep things organized at practice and meets, [and] they also come and support us at races which is really nice and encouraging,” said Junior Emily Keast.
There are many responsibilities that managers have from collecting the balls, filling water bottles, keeping the scorebook updated, stopping bloody noses, and cleaning gross wrestling mats.
“We are basically there to wait on them,” said Katie Snook, manager of the lacrosse team.
A key aspect of sports is how athletes form tight, unbreakable bonds with each other. Athletes spend hours and hours together, all working for the same goal, to achieve greatness. The managers of WS sport teams have the same goal for their sport. The social aspect of managing is a benefit to the job because they can experience all that the players do.
”I feel especially connected with the team this year,” said Sasha Vaughn volleyball manager.
The managers can’t just show up occasionally to events, they need to be dedicated to the team and be present for the majority of activities. This includes practices, scrimmages, fundraisers, games, and banquets. It takes up a good chunk of time from their schedules but, despite that, the managers enjoy spending time with their teams.
”I like seeing them everyday, they’re fun!” Snook said about spending time with the lacrosse team.
On average practice days they spend about two and a half hours at the field with the players. On game days that time doubles. There is major dedication needed to be a fully devoted manager of a team. Giving up afternoons, and even weekends, to help out a sport team calls for discipline. The managers give up opportunities to hang with friends, get homework done, play their own sports, and more. They give these up because they have a love for the sport itself and the players involved.
Managing offers great opportunity for high schoolers: it teaches discipline, responsibility, patience, and leadership. As well as looking good on resumes, managing allows for students to be involved with athletics in a unique way. It still involves the team chemistry that players have with each other and also provides a sense of belonging because students are included in the activities that players attend.
“My job is not just working,” said wrestling manager Teresa Ragan, “the team makes me feel included in all the fun; it makes up for cleaning those nasty mats.”