Spring sports try to make the run as regular season winds down

The softball teams has had a very successful spring season. Spring sports have been preparing since winter green days to perform well and to have the best spring season possible.

Spartan Sports

Spartan Sports

Austin McHale, Oracle Online Editor

The ice is melting, the sun is shining brightly, and Spartans are taking to the field once again. Spring sports are back, and the playoff pressure is intense.
All of our spring teams are bringing their playoff mentality, and they’re all looking to punch a ticket to a state championship. But every game matters when the season is on the line, and student athletes across the school are on a non-stop grind to get a win every time game day rolls around.
Not only are there championships to be won in the playoffs, but there are also scores to be settled as rivalries between schools are at their highest point. Baseball is one of the teams on a mission to settle unfinished business along with bringing a title to WS.
“Robinson stole one from us,” said junior Sam Treasure, “I can’t wait to get them back.”
The baseball team is looking to build on a great 18-5 regular season record from 2016, but that season was cut short when Lake Braddock knocked the Spartans out of the playoffs earlier than the expected. However, the boys are determined to stop that from happening again.
“We’re definitely looking at Braddock,” said Treasure.
The competitiveness can be seen on every team, as everyone has a goal in mind whenever they take the field. When the fans are cheering, it’s hard for the players not to get hyped up.
“Winning the conference comes first,” said senior Matt King, “that’s what we’re out here to do.”
But it’s also about the bonds that players form with each other during the spring season. Not only do they create lasting friendships, but they also inspire players to get better. Players aren’t only competing with the other team, but they’re also competing with their teammates as they push each other to new heights.
“The excitement of playing with the team pushes us to play harder,” said King, “and we get better because of it.”
There’s no shortage of excitement this spring if you come and watch Spartans play, as nothing beats the intensity of the playoffs. Many teams are looking to make a deep run this year, and the fans play a huge part in helping them do it.
“The goal is to win states,” said Treasure.

• Spring sports try to make the run as regular season winds down

Join the walk and take a stand against trafficking

Romano honors mom during yearly Raccoon Run

Minds matter, so protect them—wear a helmet

Building trust

International Night showcases Spartan diversity

FCPS students reach out to others during Spring Break in Ecuador

Honoring the memory of Leslie Sherman

Top Stories

Just how clean is our water?

Keeping up with our classic construction problems

Global warming gears up