Forget me not, a Capstone to remember: Seniors’ benefit concert raises money for Alzheimer’s research and awareness

5.3 million Americans have it. It is the seventh leading cause of death. It costs 172 billion annually. No, this illness is not breast cancer, heart disease, or AIDS; it is Alzheimer’s disease.

“If it were more widely known about and understood then we might be closer to a cure,” said senior Talia Lagerberg.

Often considered the common symptom of old age, Alzheimer’s is actually a dangerous disease that does not have to exist. There is current and anticipated research in drug treatments, earlier diagnosis, and prevention.

Seniors Joseph McGoffin, Talia Lagerberg and Kimberly Hodgdon decided to focus their Capstone project benefit concert on Alzheimer’s in order to do their part to raise money for both research and awareness.

“We knew a lot of people who were affected by [Alzheimer’s], so we decided to donate money for research,” said Lagerberg.

The group spent the months before the concert finding performers, finding out from theatre techs how to use the sound and lighting in the auditorium, as well as advertising. Eventually they found their performers, including several WS students.

“It was hard, but it was worth doing,” said Lagerberg.

The hour-long concert included the WS dance team and several individual vocal, piano, and guitar performances. McGoffin and junior Christian Tran had an acoustic performance, and junior Daniel Willson played the fiddle.

“[We] helped people and learned how to put on a concert at the same time,” said Lagerberg.

Unfortunately, not many people attended the concert because of weather conditions; McGoffin estimated only twenty in the audience. However, the group did raise about 200 dollars at the event, and received more donations afterwards, amounting to 300 to 400 dollars total raised. They donated the money to Alzheimer’s Association, an organization whose main purpose is to increase research on prevention and cures for the disease.

“By raising money we can help families and loved ones [impacted by Alzheimer’s],” said McGoffin.

The money will undoubtedly be used well. Alzheimer’s Association funds go to support groups, education programs, scientific research for a cure, and disease advocacy, working to pass legislation to increase research.

“Our vision is a world without Alzheimer’s disease” is Alzheimer’s Association’s motto.