100 big ones for student athletes! Jocks are now required to pay a fee to play their desired sports

High school sports are getting too expensive. Equipment, spirit wear, and uniforms are expensive enough, and now a new policy that every athlete involved in a sport pays $100 per season has been instigated.

Personally, I feel this is unfair to both the athletes and the parents of the athletes.

Most parents will pay the fee for each season their child is involved, placing a burden on them financially. Families with financial issues can apply for the federal program in order to receive benefits and to be waived.

However, other parents will require their son or daughter to pay the fee themselves. Some athletes, those who don’t have enough money or don’t think the fee is worth it, will be discouraged from playing the sport.

What happened to Fairfax County enforcing physical activity for sixty minutes per day? The new fee to play sports could deter athletes from being involved.

Athletic talent could also be lost due to the fee, and an athlete that no longer plays in high school could very well lose the interest of colleges for an athletic scholarship.

Though every athlete is required to pay the same fee, not every athlete is guaranteed playing time. Therefore, some athletes are benefitting more than others.

This policy is part of a contribution to the new budget system, where the money collected from the fees will support the student activities and athletics program. While all athletes are required to pay the $100 fee, clubs and other activities are not.

The money paid by the athletes will be used to support activities that are not required to pay.

For example, an athlete who plays football, basketball, and baseball will end up paying $300 by the end of the year, not including personal equipment and other expenses. The $300 that the athlete has paid will be used towards the activities of other students, such as marching band, that are not required to pay the fee. While it may help the county, the new fee of $100 per season does not help families suffering in the weak economy.