Is just two weeks enough?

Abel Negussie, Oracle Staff Writer

Winter break: two words that evoke happiness and relief for the FCPS student. Two weeks away from school; a time where one can forget about their worries and spend time with friends and family during the holiday season.
With that being said, the two week break is weak. It should be increased to three weeks, because our current break ends after New Year’s Day, meaning that we will barely have time to recuperate from the festivities before coming back to school. Two weeks would only be sufficient if going back to school after winter break didn’t feel like a rude awakening from a good dream that literally no one wants to wake up from.
An extended break from school would be what’s best for the students and staff of WS. Once back on campus, there would be an aura of warmth surrounding the student body and the staff, for they would have had an extended break to gather themselves.
Our winter break being extended from two weeks to three weeks could be the difference between the student body and staff being groggy or being ecstatic. From personal experience, the first day back from winter break always felt really slow, probably because everybody felt just as tired. With the three week break extending past New Year’s Day, it gives the students time to get their sleep schedules back on track!
Honestly, someone who doesn’t want to indulge in a longer winter break, free her/himself from life’s stresses, and spend time with loved ones is obviously delusional. The FCPS school board is doing the bare minimum in order to appeal to the masses, but I say, if they wanted to show they really care about us, they would lengthen winter break! Here’s hoping that it snows on New Year’s Day!