Fortnite opinions: Girls’ POV

Back to Article
Back to Article

Fortnite opinions: Girls’ POV

Senior Ivan Kang is one of many boys who play and are easily distracted by Fortnite - even in class. The girls just don't get it.

Leah Krompecher

Leah Krompecher

Leah Krompecher

Leah Krompecher, Entertainment Editor

It’s the reason your boyfriend isn’t texting back. It’s everywhere: Snapchat stories, Twitter– it’s all boys talk about now. I am of course referring to the ridiculous video game called Fortnite.
Now, I was never much of a gamer, unless by gaming you mean playing Super Mario Bros on a DS back in 2007. But other than that, no, I am not a gamer. I don’t even know how to turn on my brother’s Xbox, but what I do know is that Fortnite is a popular new game and for some reason teenage boys everywhere love it.
I don’t understand the game. Of course, I’ve never played it, but I have unfortunately watched it being played. One of my friends had a birthday party, and a boy literally brought his Xbox to the birthday party so he could play Fortnite. Talk about a party pooper! If he wanted to play it that badly, he should have stayed home. Is Fortnite really that addicting you can’t go out and have fun with your friends without playing it?
My boyfriend, thank goodness, does not play Fortnite (or at least he claims not to). However, I know girls who have told me that when their boyfriends are playing Fortnite, they don’t text them back. I even know one girl whose boyfriend puts his phone on airplane mode so he doesn’t get any notifications and isn’t distracted while playing. I just don’t understand how a video game can control someone so much that they don’t even want to talk to their girlfriend.
Every time I check my Snapchat now, I see at least two people post pictures of their Fortnite wins. To all the boys who do this: no one cares. No one. We don’t care if you won with a team of your friends or if you won single-handedly. We don’t care how many kills you had. Posting your wins on your Snapchat isn’t impressive. When I see someone post their win, I just think of how many tries it probably took them to win and how much free time they have on their hands to be playing a video game.
My 14 year-old brother plays Fortnite all the time. Whenever I’m in my room doing homework or trying to sleep all I can hear from his room next door is him yelling at the game and getting upset or celebrating when he wins. It is just a game; there is no need to yell about it.
I guess I just don’t understand the hype, and I probably never will because unlike most teenage boys, I don’t get excited over and waste my time on a silly video game.

• Fortnite opinions: Girls’ POV

Viewpoint

A consumerist carol: Corporations control holidays

• Fortnite opinions: Girls’ POV

Viewpoint

WS administration, lengthen our lunch

• Viewpoint

Voters should strive to be well – informed

• Fortnite opinions: Girls’ POV

Viewpoint

The value of ethical journalism

• Fortnite opinions: Girls’ POV

Viewpoint

Too old to trick or treat

• Fortnite opinions: Girls’ POV

Viewpoint

As a quarter ends, Spartans struggle with stress

• Viewpoint

Locked door policy opens new problems

• Fortnite opinions: Girls’ POV

Viewpoint

Art murals brought individuality to WS

• Fortnite opinions: Girls’ POV

Viewpoint

Gossiping isn’t a good thing at WS

• Fortnite opinions: Girls’ POV

Viewpoint

Gun Control: Con

Fortnite opinions: Girls’ POV