Political ads do not address the issues

Gerry Connolly looks like a mouse, so he should not be elected. Vote Keith Fimian for Congress.

Okay, so maybe election commercials were not that bad, but this year they took a turn for the worse: campaigns have become more negative and unethical than they have ever been.

Shouldn’t election ads be about the issues? Shouldn’t they tell us why the candidate is the best choice?

Instead, they are focused on why the other candidate should not be chosen, in a very dramatic manner.

At the end of almost all the Connolly commercials, they would play dramatic music fade into black and white, and then a booming voice would say “Keith Fimian: too extreme for Northern Virginia.”

Well, that may be true in some aspects, but as an uninformed citizen I had no idea how or why he was too extreme.

Maybe giving the public some insight into how Fimian is too extreme would have proved a job well done. Connolly should actually say something about himself other than “I am Gerry Connolly and I approve this message.”

In an ideal world, a candidate would make a television ad where he or she would talk about the issues. Imagine that!

Talking to the American people about why we should take our time out to vote for him or her instead of telling us irrelevant information about their opponents, would be great.

I, for one, would like to know about a candidate’s stance on the real issues. How about telling us what they think about health care or the economy? Their stance, not their opponents exaggerated and dramatized stance.

In actuality, negative ad campaigns turn voters away from that candidate—but that piece of information seemed to have slipped the candidates mind.

This has not deterred candidates one bit; they have actually increased the use of negative ads in their campaigns. It could be because even though viewers realize it is an ad hominem fallacy, they still retain the information.

There are many Americans out there that are very unaware about the issues that affect us all, so a little help from the people that are supposed to be in charge would help.