Whatever happened to pep rallies?

To the Editor:

As little kids, we see how much fun high school is—on television, that is. Fun-filled hallways between classes, rallied up students at the amazing pep rallies before major games, the unbelievable Homecoming week, not to mention all the school spirit. Who would’ve guessed that not everything is as it seems on television?

Walking into WS as a freshman, I was so pumped and ready to experience what I saw various high school kids experience. I was so psyched to be a part of something bigger, be able to proudly say, “I am a Spartan!”

As the years have gone by, I have been let down on many occasions. The pep rallies at our school were not, and are still not, like the ones I used to see on various TV shows. To begin with, there is one pep rally a year at WS. Is that really how this school plans on raising school spirit?

Aside from the quantity of the rallies, let’s look at the quality. I understand that the organizers put a lot of thought into these events, but how much thought is it, really? For the most part, the pep rallies are repetitive and very short. There is nothing unexpected about the pep rallies, which makes them, yes, that’s right, boring! I want my time spent sitting on a bleacher to be worthwhile. Is slightly greater quantity and better quality of a pep rally too much to ask?

Now, let’s look at the school spirit. Don’t get me wrong—there is plenty of that at WS, but why is it from the same people? There is a small group of people that involve themselves in that school spirit. I’m not only talking about sporting the spirit wear (although that is a big thumbs up), I’m talking about students participating during the many spirit weeks that we don’t have, and attending the school-organized activities and cheering on our Spartan athletes.

I know there is a lot of enthusiasm in students; I see it in the halls all the time. If all that enthusiasm were put into school spirit, then WS would be a much more fun place to be. In this bit, I’m not only talking about the students, but the staff, as well. Seeing the faculty participate alongside the students puts a little more fun into everything.

I still have faith that this school will unleash the spirit within. Maybe it won’t be identical to the high schools on TV, but we can get all of our Spartans to be proud of their school and what it represents.

Sincerely,

Brenda Canas