Burke the baker

For some students, the thought of whipping egg whites into a merengue or frosting a cake seems daunting, but not to Amy Burke, a junior whose baking abilities exceed those of many adults.
At an early age, Burke impressed family members with her refined palate and culinary skill.
“Amy would taste all of the desserts at parties, at dinners, and at restaurants. But she wouldn’t just try all desserts, Amy would tell you which desserts were too bland and needed spices,” said her mother, Carol Burke.
However it was not until Burke took seventh grade Family and Consumer Sciences class that she realized she had an interest in making her own desserts.
“I always liked the idea of homemade [food] and family and I think that’s what got me started in it,” said Burke.
From the first baked good, Burke was fearless in the kitchen.
“I told Amy that I’d never made [whoopie pies] before…Next thing I know, we have a kitchen and dining room full of chocolate, pumpkin, and raspberry whoopie pies,” said Carol Burke.
Although it came naturally to her, baking was another activity added to Burke’s already busy schedule. Burke began swimming at age seven and running at age thirteen. After a knee injury, she began to focus more on her baking and opportunities to expand her career.
“My brother’s best friend’s mom owns a Vietnamese restaurant, and last year I started baking for functions [she hosted],” said Burke.
These functions were not tiny gatherings or family affairs; once she knew of Burke’s abilities, the restaurant owner and family friend asked her to provide desserts for extremely large crowds.
“I [once] made five hundred tarts. I’d stay up for like fifteen hours,” said Burke.
To some bakers, these extravagant orders would have seemed nearly impossible to complete, but Burke’s technical abilities and attention to detail allowed her to keep her cool.
“I knew she could make a million of one dessert. Amy can make beautiful tasting plates [for] her customers…I was [more] worried about the decorations and boxing the desserts,” said Carol Burke.
At home, Burke is head baker.
“Cooking is a family tradition. [They are] totally into it, they count on me for baking though,” said Burke.
Despite her enormous success, Burke believes that there is always room to improve.
“I’m good at it… Even [though], I fail because I don’t follow recipes. I loosely base [the process] off recipes,” said Burke.
Burke’s family looks forward to her baking, and supports her on a day to day basis by tasting all of her experimental confections.
“Amy’s grandmother is a dietician,” said Carol Burke, “Amy also creates healthy desserts for friends who have allergies…and she cooks too!”
In addition to baking for her family and community events, Burke enjoys occasionally sharing her sweet creations with the choir department. Burke is a member of the WS Madrigals, the premier performance group.
“She’s baked chocolate chip cookies for [Madrigals] before!” said senior Lydia Heaton. “They were delicious.”
Burke’s baking positively affects all involved, as she enjoys the process and her tasters enjoy the results.
“I like how people smile when they eat. Whenever I’m baking, I’m just happy,” said Burke.
As for her future with baking, Burke’s career goals have changed over time.
“Freshman and sophomore year I was thinking ‘I’m definitely going to try to go to culinary school.’ But now I’m trying to figure out how [my interests in] cooking and traveling can coincide,” said Burke.
Burke has two siblings and may wish to follow in her sister Catherine’s footsteps by applying to schools in Virginia. After college, Burke hopes to travel and share her love for food.
“I really want to go to Africa; it’s something I’ve always wanted to do: helping people. I want to go after college,” said Burke.
Considering Burke’s resume and ability to balance school with numerous extracurricular activities, it is clear that she can achieve any goal she sets her mind to.
“I don’t think Amy will ever slow down. She is a girl on the go!” said Carol Burke.