Nu metal resurges among Gen Z

Seniors Christina Nies and Briseis Memos recently attended a concert by rock band Tool. While best known as a progressive rock band, Tool fuses elements of nu metal with progressive rock in their music.
Photo courtesy of Christina Nies

Nu metal, a genre of alternative rock music thought to be most beloved by 90s kids and dads, has made a comeback among Gen Z listeners through social media and musical nostalgia.
“Social media has helped immensely, whether it be through education on the cultures surrounding the music genres, or discovering new bands,” said freshman Kat Hemmer.
Nu metal differentiates itself from other genres of rock and metal by incorporating elements of rap, hip-hop, industrial, and grunge. The genre was most popular in the late 90s and peaked in the early 2000s, but was overtaken by other styles of popular music.

“A lot of the bands I listen to nowadays, I found through my friends online, or through TikTok and other social media platforms.”

— Freshman Kat Hemmer

“I think nu metal declined in popularity primarily due to the natural process of popular music scenes changing,” said senior Jack East. “Purple Adidas, sweatsuits, and JNCO jeans really stopped being cool, and a lot of pop and R&B [gained attention].”
Despite the decline of nu metal, Gen Z is using social media to reintroduce it into mainstream music. Trending nu metal songs from the over-the-top shout-rapping of Limp Bizkit to the distinct guttural growl of Korn have prevailed again in the forms of trending TikTok and Instagram reel background music.
“The TikTok algorithm and the Instagram Reels algorithm [have played a part in nu metal’s popularity]. It picks and chooses what becomes popular,” said junior Rachel Crane. “That’s how I discovered a lot of music myself, through audios on TikTok and Instagram.”
Besides the part social media has played in repopularizing nu metal, nostalgia for the music has also introduced listeners to the genre.
“I think most people seek nostalgia from about thirty years ago,” said East. “That seems to be about the sweet spot of nostalgia where it’s just enough in the past to be fun and retro but recent enough to not be dated and to have aged poorly.”
While nu metal has been a source of reminiscing for some, for others it serves as an emotional outlet and means of connection.
“I don’t think nu metal resurfacing reflects our nostalgia as much as it reflects our anger and our want to stand out,” said Hemmer. “In a life where it can be difficult to navigate feelings and emotions, music often helps me and other teens express their feelings.”