Koses puts a fresh spin on an ancient faith: Serving as Madrich, sophomore brings fun and education together

Sophomore Ben Koses used his experience at Adat Reyim, the Synagogue he attends, to improve the learning environment for younger kids.

When Koses attended his own class at Adat Reyim, he did not enjoy learning until seventh grade, so rather than allowing the next group of kids to suffer for that long, he decided to inspire a change.  In eighth grade, he became a Madrich, assisting the teacher at the Synagogue with teaching the kids Hebrew readings and Torah studies.

Koses, however, gave the kids a dose of fun in their studies. Before, the students had to sit and pray without necessarily understanding the prayers, but now, they play learning games, such as jeopardy, to ensure that the kids enjoy their studies and the materials stick.

“I felt important and useful, and I really feel as though I helped them to understand the material,” said Koses.

He has been working as a Madrich for three years now. Each Sunday and Monday, he works with the kids for about two and a half hours. The time he has spent with all of these kids has bonded him to them, forming strong relationships with his students.

“I’d say that what I like best about working at Adat Reyim is gaining the students’ respect, trust, and even friendship,” said Koses.

The age group he has worked with has changed over the past few years. In the past he has worked with fifth graders, fourth graders, and second graders.

This year he has taken on the second grade class for a second time as well as the sixth grade class, which is newer atmosphere. Because he has gotten the chance to work with the second grade teacher for two years now, she has been able to exhibit the good in Koses’s heart.

“I call Ben my ‘right hand man’ because he helps me so much in all areas. I am so proud of him and know the kids are grateful for his help,” said second grade teacher, Laura Yarvis.

His position as a Madrich is not without rewards. The job offers community service hours, and, as he spent more time there, he got a paid position.The most meaningful thing to him is the sense of accomplishment he gets from helping these kids. Koses likes knowing that he is helping these kids understand important concepts.

“I enjoy teaching the students and seeing the flash of understanding in their little eyes,” said Koses.