Senior proudly serves his country

Freedom is not free. Every year, around 180,000 people join the United States military to work, fight, and possibly die for the defense of our country and conservation of its ideals. Senior Jaymz Cervantez is one of them.

Cervantez recently enlisted with the United States Army. On August 1, he will ship out to Army Basic Training at Fort Benning, Georgia.

He is currently going through a rigorous training program that will prepare him for his job selection as an Airborne Ranger. In the future, he wants to go to Officer Candidate School so he can eventually become an officer.

“I plan on making the Army my career,” said Cervantez.

Cervantez has wanted to join the Army since his childhood, looking up to his father, who served in the Army as well. Growing up on Fort Meade and Fort Jackson, he played soldier with his childhood ‘military brat’ friends and dressed up in his Battle Dress Uniform. He has always pictured himself going into the Army as soon as he finished high school.

“I wanted to be in the Army because of the values that the Army teaches and runs by,” said Cervantez.

The ‘Army values’ are loyalty, duty, respect, selfless service, honor, integrity, and personal courage. They have been an intrinsic part of the Army since its beginning.

When Cervantez was sworn in, he acknowledged these values as he repeated an Oath of Enlistment. By doing this, he promised to protect this nation against all enemies, foreign and domestic, and to support the U.S. Constitution.

“It was a very powerful feeling to be saying that oath,” said Cervantez.

Besides his commitment to the Army, Cervantez also looks forward to the opportunities for adventure, travel, and experience in the career.

His family is very proud of him. His father, in particular, is very involved, helping Cervantez train and prepare himself.

Cervantez frequently wears his Class A uniform when he has JROTC, and often gets glances or nods of approval from people who pass by him.

“I feel pride and honor when I put on my uniform and wear it,” said Cervantez.

Cervantez believes the United States military has an important and necessary role in the world: it keeps peace and protects countries that cannot defend themselves. He is proud of the opportunity to become part of that effort.

“I have grown up in the Army and have done more in my life already than most people will ever do,” said Cervantez. “I would love to continue to do even more.”