Young siblings make bank

Senior Andy and freshman Amy Young have realized that money certainly does not grow on trees.

Upon this realization, the siblings created a successful lawn mowing service about five years ago. Although their work slows down during the winter, they receive plenty of calls in the summer months from people requesting their services.

“We’re busy during the summer, and September and June,” said Amy, “but not as much during the school year.”

The brother-sister duo controls the lawn service along with a few neighborhood kids who attend private schools.

Working with others is definitely more beneficial to their work load; this system allows them to split up the labor and fill in for each other when needed.

“If one person is busy then another person can step in and help out,” said Andy.

The Youngs’ friends and family help advertise their business by recommending the company and spreading information by word of mouth.

The service is a convenient one, in that Andy and Amy are able to choose when and how long they work.

“I can work as much as I want and it’s fairly successful,” said Andy.

The siblings are reasonably committed to their job and are able to efficiently balance school, sports, and their business.

Both Andy and Amy swim for their local swim team during the summer, which creates a challenge for their time management. However, their ability to prioritize their activities ensures their ongoing commitment to their customers.

“There have been many times that the lawns have had to take priority over their personal plans,” said Carol Young, mother of Andy and Amy.

The quality of their work has definitely won the loyalty of many customers in their neighborhood, as they are very much thankful for Andy and Amy’s service. 

“Many of their customers have approached us [their parents] and told us how much they appreciate the kids and the job they have done,” said Carol.

Depending on the yard size, the hardworking pair places a price of 20 to 25 dollars for each lawn they mow.

While others may spend the well-earned money the minute they place their hands on it, the siblings know better than to spend it all in one place.

“I save it all up for when I go out with friends over the summer,” said Amy.

After holding the business for five years, the Youngs have their system down to a science. Their lawn mowers have an automatic drive in order to help them mow easily and reduce the amount of elbow grease put into the work.

“We have two lawn mowers that we use,” said Amy. “Andy uses my mom’s van to transport them.”

Amy is the only girl among a group of boys working to mow the lawns, but all of them work well together and get along.

“We know them and we’ve grown up with them, so we trust them,” said Andy.