This Spartan still bleeds orange & blue

Most students who graduate from here leave their high school days behind, but that wasn’t the case for English teacher Jacob Branigan.

Physically, WS hasn’t changed much since ’05 when Branigan graduated, other than the Sports Lobby bathrooms getting renovated and the removal of the carpet from the “carpeted hallway” downstairs; however, Branigan said the policies have changed immensely.

“The grading scale was more difficult, you had to have a teacher recommendation to take an AP class, and 5th period was the period that met every day,” said Branigan. “There was also no Spartan time.  Lunch was during 5th period, so we always had the same lunch.  I don’t know how you guys deal with having different lunches on different days.  That would drive me crazy.”

When Branigan, who has been teaching for one year attended WS from ’02 to ’05 he was really into the guitar program which was established at WS thanks to former teacher Keith Owens, current Biology teacher Jenn Owen’s husband. Branigan really enjoyed guitar and was a part of the program for four years; his senior year, he was vice president of the advance guitar ensemble.

“I was in a rock band… so I was cooler than all the jocks.  At least that’s what I like to think’” said Branigan.

Not only was Branigan apart of the guitar program, but he also ran Cross Country and Track and Field under former coach Chris Pellegrini. He wasn’t necessarily the fastest runner, but every year he had fun and liked the challenge, which is why he continued to do it for all four years.

“Running is a personal challenge. You have to be competitive, but it’s inner competition. I loved the personal challenge,” said Branigan. 

Even though several years later Branigan found himself back at the school that he spent four long but exciting years at, it’s still kind of like a whole new experience to come back and teach compared to being taught.

“Being a student here and being a teacher here are so incredibly different, they don’t even compare. It’s a whole different life,” said Branigan. 

Branigan has always been a hard worker, even when he was a very busy high school student. His former History teacher James Percoco said, “[He is] very studious, focused, charming, and pleasant,” while his former Math teacher Sharon Hauser said “[Branigan was] one of those people who teachers remember and you just want to sit down and have a conversation with.”

After graduating from James Madison University and spending one year in an internship in the Shenandoah Valley, Branigan had an epiphany: He realized that WS is the only school in the world where he could experience both sides of being a student and a teacher. This was a chance that he just couldn’t manage to pass up.

“After getting to know the students here I’m so glad I came back,” said Branigan.