Sophomore displays superb memory

Like a large portable filing cabinet sophomore Jenifer Leibrandt’s photographic memory allows her to remember almost every thought and everything she has ever read.

Leibrandt’s photographic memory not only helps her get the top grades in her classes but also helps her broaden her mind in the world literature. Leibrandt can’t imagine life without this ability. However, it wasn’t until the fifth grade that she noticed she was different.

“I quoted sentences from the textbook,” said Leibrandt.

Her teacher and classmates were shocked at this amazing feat and Leibrandt decided to embrace her new found talent instead of hide her difference.

She started to use her memory to help her read even quicker by taking two pages at a time in her mind like a picture. She could use that to help her read more than three books at a time. Now on average she reads roughly 28 books a month and in the summer she can read 40 a month.

With all those stories floating around in her head most would think she would become easily confused. Leibrandt has a busy schedule, with school and crew in the spring, but with her photographic memory she never worries if she’ll forget the story of any of the books she reads.

“I love how it allows me to read a book and then pick up the sequel maybe months or years later and still remember what I read,” said Leibrandt.

But for Leibrandt, her photographic memory can also be a burden. Most people are able to quickly discard information that they don’t want to remember, Leibrandt can’t.

“When I read something and want to get it out of my head it is not [a gift],” said Leibrandt. “It makes it harder to think, and it clutters my brain.”

Her photographic memory may have some limitations but the benefits outweigh them greatly. Aside from school and reading, she also can crush anyone who dares to challenges her at memory games or puzzles.

“My parents have learned not to challenge me to those types of games,” said Leibrandt.

Out of all the perks her memory gives her Leibrandt would still choose her ability to read quickly and remember everything more than the other perks.

“Everyone wants to escape to the world of make believe,” said Leibrandt.