A leader walks among us

While many students go through high school without any experience in leadership, sophomore Olivia Adubofour received an opportunity to attend a prestigious leadership program to hone her skills. Adubofour was recently accepted to the Hugh O’Brian Youth Leadership (HOBY) program for sophomores. Her acceptance is a great honor because only one sophomore from each school receives the opportunity to attend. “It makes me feel proud. Not only do I get to spend time with students who have similar interests as me, but also I get to experience college life,” said Adubofour. She immediately became interested in HOBY after learning about the program. Adubofour has had many experiences in the past at her youth group that have prepared her for this program. Since last year, she has been the president of her church youth group and has started up a group called Ladies of Virtue. Through the Ladies of Virtue she has been encouraging younger girls to look up to their sisters for help when they run into problems. However, her determination to lead others does not stop at church. “As I work on my leadership skills, I look forward to running for president or taking leadership positions in groups such as Forensics or Speech & Debate,” said Adubofour. “Next year I hope to tap into my skills.” As a sophomore, she has already made an impact on fellow students. Many can attest that through her hard work, she has shown many qualities of a good leader and deserves to be attending the HOBY program. “She’s confident about everything she does, she can connect with people she doesn’t know, she has class when she wins and loses, and she speaks very well. She is a rising star for the Speech & Debate team,” said senior Erik Bakke. People do not only notice her personal strengths, but also enjoy being with her because of her personality. “She encourages people to be the best that they can be and is dedicated to her work,” said sophomore Kate Donovan. Adubofour’s leadership skills have allowed her to develop as a person. Through her experiences she has a great understanding of what makes people a good leader. “I think as a leader you gain many qualities that allow you to accept everyone,” said Adubofour. “I have been able to broaden my outlook on life and now understand that a leader does not live for themselves, but lives for other people.”