Hurlburt leads students to bright future

The stress of planning your future has nothing on Hannah Hurlburt.

Hurlburt has been working in the Career Center at our school for two years now. Prior to working at our school she was an “Opportunista” for the Vermont Student Assistance Corporation.

“I drove a branded vehicle all over the state and met with over 9,000 students. It was fun,” said Hurlburt.

Her  job here at WS is the Career Center Specialist, which entails helping students with secondary education, financial aid, and basically answering any questions students have about life after high school. She prepares students for college, or whatever they plan to pursue after high school.

“What I like about my job is helping a student find the perfect fit school, get the scholarship, ace a job interview, or be able to vent about how confusing the entire college process is,” said Hurlburt.

With so many students depending on her for help with college planning, she has developed the perfect system for finding students’ ideal colleges. She believes that by giving students lots of information about different colleges will help them make a well informed decision.

“Information and knowledge are unbelievably powerful in this process,” said Hurlburt.

Hurlburt has a special way of connecting with students. It is very obvious when you meet her that she has the students’ best interests at heart. Students find her very helpful in giving information on financial aid.

“She’s friendly, and she gets excited for your success,” said senior Essette Neguisse.

Many juniors feel overwhelmed by the idea of applying to colleges. Hurlburt has a great way to help students start to look at what they want in a college by the college search. She offers a sign-up sheet in her office for students to have a one on one meeting with her to see what they want in a school.

Even more nerve racking than being a junior starting the college search is being a senior waiting to hear back from colleges they applied to. Hurlburt has seen many students succeed in college, and she stresses the fact that time management is huge for college freshman.   

“Once you have decided on your school, take out a campus map of your school and mark down all of the important buildings and contact info for people you may need to locate on the campus,” said Hurlburt. “This will make your transition much easier when you know exactly where to go when you need something.”