Talented Spartan artists paint their way to the silver and gold

Fluorescent blues and vibrant greens stain the fingers of seniors Catie Kitrinos and Johanna Hoque, visible evidence of a day consumed by painting.

Anyone looking for the girls knows to head directly to Room 279, the Art Room, which now proudly displays a sign signifying all that time, paint brush in hand, well spent.

The two recently received the ultimate award in art at a high school level: the coveted Silver and Gold Keys at the National Scholastic Competition in New York. The prizes didn’t just fall out of the sky—a massive amount of time, energy and precision went into creating the masterpieces.

AP Art is set up so that the students spend the year creating their portfolios, or collections of art that follow the individual’s focus.

“[It is a] big personal statement,” said Katherine Rehm, the Studio Art and AP Art teacher.

Rehm has watched the girls develop and nurture their own artistic style. Hoque brings portraits to life by incorporating written words, outlining images of her favorite subjects: her best friends.

“Whatever emotion I’m feeling, I put into the picture,” said Hoque.

Personal, movie and book quotes as well as song lyrics have been in her artwork, capturing her subject’s personality. Hoque doesn’t just decide to paint certain people, but waits for inspiration to come to her.

“If I see a picture or pose I really like, I’ll paint them,” said Hoque.

While Kitrinos also enjoys capturing her friends in her art work, she uses the theme of masks as her concentration. She often gives her subjects deeply shaded backgrounds decorated with bright lights that give the picture a mystic allure.

“I wouldn’t say fairy dust because [Kitrinos] would kill me,” said Rehm. “But it does give it another world sort of feel.”

While Rehm has a high opinion of both girls in and out of the classroom, she offers more than just praise. She helps to direct the girls while allowing them independence.

“I spend the majority of my day in the art room,” said Hoque. “I was in there first period, Spartan Time, lunch, and I am going back for seventh. It’s like home.”

Kitrinos also spends her fair share of time in the Art Room. When she’s not there, she can be found decorating the Spanish Hallway with delicate strokes of paint, or slipping away at the end of cross country practice to retreat to her art class at Junior Studio. Needless to say, both girls are dedicated to art—and the finished product speaks for itself.

The girls hope that placing in the contest will be just a step towards a life filled with their passion. Hoque desires to incorporate her talent into Art Therapy and Kitrinos hopes to create a balance by entering Biomedical Illustrations. No matter what, they are willing to sacrifice in order to keep art as the key element in their busy lives.

“I would sell my soul to keep painting,” said Kitrinos.