Turmoil overseas strikes Spartans near and far

The revolution in Egypt affects more than just the Egyptians in close proximity.

Sophomore Thayne Price knows that first hand, after he was forced to leave Egypt for a mandatory Evacuation. Price’s dad works for the State Department in Cairo, serving for embassy security, where he has been living for the past two years.

Price lived in Maadi, Egypt which is right outside Cairo. Maadi is known for being the area where many other embassies from various countries are located. Including those of America, Peru, Mexico, Japan, Mongolia and Argentina. Price was in Egypt when entire hospitals and shopping centers were looted by everyday civilians.

“There was a tank about 100 yards from our house,” said Price. “There was a mall near our house that was barricaded and burnt down after it was looted, they even looted a children’s cancer hospital.”

Price was asked to leave, and gather all his belongings within 24 hours, because the government was afraid that his family and other United States citizens would be stuck in Cairo and put in harm’s way if the airports were shut down.

“The embassy in Cairo ordered an immediate evacuation, they were afraid that the airports would shut down and there would be no way to get us out,” said Price. “We had 24 hours to gather our belongings and leave.”

Price and his family arrived in the United States at the beginning of February, and Price started his time at WS on February 7.

However, Price is not a stranger to the suburbs of Washington DC.  Prior to his move to Cairo two and a half years ago, Price he used to live in the Springfield area, inside the WS district.

“I went to Cardinal Forest and Irving before my family moved to Cairo,” said Price. “It’s good to be back.”

Price has so far enjoyed being back to the area, especially the fact that there are many more choices of food here, but misses his friends and life back in Egypt.

Price suspects he won’t be living here for too long however. Usually, when a family is ordered to leave for a mandatory evacuation, it is obligatory to leave for at least 30 days. Price has not heard word yet on when he will be allowed to go back, but he hopes it will be soon.

“I am not really worried about my house being destroyed, I am just worried because all my stuff is there, and I want it back,” said Price.