Percoco’s Individual Field Trips get students out of the classroom and really into history

Today’s homework assignment: Visit the World War II/ Korean War Memorial in DC. For students in James Percoco’s US/VA History or Applied History classes, this is just another exciting IFT assignment. Despite the notes, various videos and PowerPoints, Percoco has another way to teach his love of history outside the classroom with Individual Field Trips, aka IFTs. “I love IFTs,” says Alberto Vergara, a senior in Percoco’s Applied History class. “They’re so much fun and it’s a great time to learn without even realizing it.” Percoco’s students already know how history-crazed their teacher is. At the beginning of each class, he rings two ancient bells to “Evoke the Spirit of History.” The soothing echo is an immediate trip back in time. Every quarter, Percoco assigns a certain historic location in DC for his students to visit that pertains to what they are learning for a more in-depth experience of the past. “The IFTs are a charm to the past and a great interaction,” said Percoco. “It’s an interest to make it more tied to what we are learning in class.” There’s a first: a field trip for homework. IFTs are the type of homework that doesn’t cause a groan when a student pulls the assignment out of the backpack. Instead of grabbing a pencil, it’s time to pick up the car keys and learn some history while trying not to get lost in the ancient District while hunting for the sites. “I started IFTs in 1988 with a kind of brain-child mind,” said Percoco. “It’s a great advantage for students to promote hands-on learning and a lot of great connections come with it.” IFTs are not only a time of learning, but a historic experience in our Nation’s Capital that can be shared with more than just people in the class. Parents, guardians, siblings and good buddies can be dragged along for the momentous occasion. “I think the IFTs are great,” says Sarah Ummen, a junior in one of Percoco’s US/VA History classes. “It’s a great learning opportunity at historic sites to share with friends and family.” With all the trouble involved in getting organized for a class field trip, the IFTs are the way to go and a better way to understand the reason for the DC outing, Percoco said. “I think that IFTs are better than class trips because you learn more. Other history teachers have assigned some sort of distortions of their own to IFTs as well.” In the past, Percoco has assigned IFTs ranging from gravesites of certain individuals, to the Jefferson and George Mason memorial and even specific artworks like the Shaw Memorial by Saint-Gaudens in the National Gallery of Art. So that leaves the assignment for the quarter: Visit a historic monument in DC; oh, and try not to get lost. “IFTs are awesome,” says Vergara. “I can’t wait for the next one.”