Procrastination is NOT key

While trying to write about procrastination, I find myself doing exactly that.

It seems like it would be quite a bit easier to just get an assignment out of the way as quickly as possible. Unfortunately, as soon as a minor distraction comes along, it is taken advantage of immediately by people like me.

No matter how many times the consequences of procrastination are repeated, I still can’t keep myself from doing it. And I know I’m not the only one. Especially now, with Spring Break just over and summer just around the corner, many students, including me, are slacking even more. I don’t get enough sleep as it is, and my good organization is out the window because I’m ready to be finished with school, and procrastination will only make these issues worse.

I think procrastination, in my case, has gotten way out of hand. Every day, I tell myself that I should do my homework as soon as I get home, and every day I end up sitting in front of the TV or on the Internet, wasting time. It seems to me that the technology that is accessible to our generation is a rather significant contributor to the rapidly-growing epidemic that is procrastination.

Of course, procrastination didn’t just recently become an issue—it’s been around as long as any form of work has.

In the end, the solution to the procrastination problem is entirely on the shoulders of the procrastinator. Personally, I think the simplest way to stop procrastinating is to desensitize ourselves to outside distractions and try out hardest to get the things we don’t want to do done as quickly as possible. This way, more things will get accomplished on time.

As widespread as procrastination is across the world, you’d think someone would’ve thought of a solution that everyone could put into place easily. I wish that were the case. Honestly, the only people who can stop procrastination are the procrastinators themselves.

A word of advice, though: When an assignment that isn’t necessarily “fun” needs to be finished as soon as possible, just try to get it out of the way quickly. That way, you can succumb to any distraction you want to—after you finish your work.