No school vacation means no appreciation

You know the feeling; crossing off the calendar days, planning how the celebration will go, and having all the anticipation while waiting for…Groundhog Day.

Some holidays just don’t get the hype and recognition that others do and it’s rightfully so. I mean, when was the last time that President’s Day decorations were placed in malls? How often do people have festivities centered around Arbor Day?

These “special” days just don’t get the positive reception that more mainstream holidays like Christmas, Halloween, and Thanksgiving get. Some of the holidays based on real moral and historical values are overlooked if there’s no real way to celebrate. Even New Year’s Eve gets more appreciation than holidays honoring political American heroes like George Washington and Martin Luther King, Jr.

Most people only consider holidays important if they get presents or get out of school. To a lot of people, if it can be celebrated at a party, it’s more important than if it honors those who have served or died in the military.

On the other hand, some holidays just aren’t worth the recognition. Groundhog Day is one of these, as it is only celebrated in Punxsutawney, Pennsylvania, and therefore reaches only those with direct contact to Punxsutawney.

April Fool’s Day goes under the radar around the age of 12. Then certain holidays are observed by the other end of the age spectrum. St. Patrick’s Day is observed mostly by those who are either Irish or heading out to a bar. And Valentine’s Day is only relevant to those passing out valentines in elementary school or in a committed relationship.

So why do we still acknowledge these useless holidays over ones with more merit? Probably because they’re fun. Sometimes people need a silly excuse to do something enjoyable and just have a good time. Holidays that allow for childish celebrations are the ones that make people happy. Anytime people can get together with their friends and have a party, they will; and meaningless holidays allow them to do just that.

Maybe this isn’t the way that it should be, but the calendar year offers days that can be celebrated easily and days that cannot. It is up to you to decide which ones mean the most.