Once again burdened with glorious purpose

Loki season two, episode one had the second biggest premiere on Disney+ this year, beaten only by The Mandalorian season three, episode one.
Photo courtesy of Emily Yelnicker

*Disclaimer: This article was written when Loki season two, episodes one, two, and three were the only episodes out on Disney+*
Season two of Loki was a huge hit for Spartan Loki fans. People instantly fell in love with the new characters, watched Loki (Tom Hiddleston) and Mobius (Owen Wilson) bicker hilariously, and witnessed the time-traveling shenanigans of the Time Variance Authority (TVA).
This season gives Loki the opportunity to shine as a hero, contrasting to his notoriously villainous nature in past Marvel Studios stories. Hiddleston does an excellent job of transforming into a more heroic Loki, while still maintaining the God of Mischief title.
“I do gravitate more toward the antihero,” said freshman Isaac Posner. “However, for this specific story, I actually like the direction of him being more heroic.”
In this season, the show continued to incorporate the quirky aspects it was known for in season one. The set designs are both retro and futuristic, with a unique color palette that catches the audience’s attention. The TVA is designed to look like it is from the future, but it also has many elements from the 1990s, showcasing that the TVA isn’t limited to a certain time period. The colors of the sets also draw the audience in. Whether it be the bright oranges plastered around the TVA, or the muted grays all around 1890s Chicago, the colors are crucial to the design of the sets.
“I thought the Chicago [World’s] Fair [set] was cool, but also it was in the past, and it always intrigues me,” said freshman Erin Ewell.
One of the show’s standouts is Oscar winner Ke Huy Quan’s character, Ouroborus aka (O.B.). He plays his character with mystery, humor, and charm, dropping his humorous lines with perfect precision. Audiences expected a lot from his character in Loki, and Quan’s performance exceeded expectations.
“I like how [O.B.’s] really smart, but he’s also really humble. The actor does that really well,” said Ewell.
While the show is mainly focused on Loki and Mobius, the side characters are not left in the dust. B-15 (Wunmi Mosaku) and Casey (Eugene Cordero), both people who work at the TVA, are elevated as characters in the new season. They feel more complex, as the actors seem increasingly comfortable with their roles. Sylvie (Sophia Di Martino), one of the main characters from the previous season, gets a chance to continue her character arc from the first season. Di Martino adds a sense of sadness and vulnerability to the character that wasn’t there last season, adding new layers to her character that gives the audience a better understanding of who Sylvie is. While she is perhaps playing a smaller role in the second season than she was in the first season, she remains one of the stronger aspects of the show.
“I enjoy the realness of Sylvie. She doesn’t try to sugarcoat things, it’s just matter-of-fact,” said Ewell.
A prominent weakness of the show arrives in the form of a character called Victor Timely (Jonathan Majors). Timely is a variant of another character known as He Who Remains (the creator of the TVA) from Loki season one, but whereas He Who Remains strengthened season one, Timely weakens season two.
“I thought [Timely’s] stutter was a little bit excessive. I don’t think it was really needed for the character,” said Ewell.
The music of the show, composed by Natalie Holt, elevates the show to places it would not otherwise reach. With a unique sound and tone, the score adds to every scene. The music feels mysterious and mischievous, with an undercurrent of darkness often perveying it, a way of bringing Loki into the music.
“[The music] is weird but good, fits the show well,” said sophomore Cuinn Castellano.
The strength of the show is found in the relationships and character moments, most especially the friendship between Loki and Mobius. The chemistry between Tom Hiddleston and Owen Wilson elevates the entire show. They’re able to jokingly argue with each other, but they’re also able to portray heartfelt moments of genuine care and love.
“You can tell [Mobius and Loki] still kind of bicker with each other, but [in] a different way. It’s more brotherly than anything. You can tell they care for each other [a lot],” said Castellano.
While the show does have its flaws, it still manages to be one of the stronger entries into the pantheon of Marvel. This show proves that even after twelve years, the character of Loki still manages to entertain audiences with his charm, wit, and now, his heroism.