Winter fashion 101

Sophomore Timothy Campbell studies hard in his puffer jacket that doesn’t fit in his backpack.
Photo courtesy of Alessa Ciccarello

In Virginia’s mild climate, dressing warmly is not usually an issue, especially for students sitting in heated classrooms all day. However, in these colder months, students can be caught unaware by a snowstorm or freezing weather. If this doesn’t suit your fancy, taking the time to consider your outfit might be worth it.
Spartans don’t always have time in the morning to spend precious minutes debating their clothing choices. Security assistant Russel Wade knows this struggle, and has a system to safeguard against it.
“I don’t have time to pick out an outfit in the morning. I do it at night,” said Wade. “Sometimes, I’ll even do it on Sunday and lay out outfits for the whole week.”
That is an innovative way to make sure you’re always ready on time, but what about making sure you never overheat when you come inside from a freezing commute? Freshman Grace Kihoro knows exactly what she needs to stay warm and fashionable without getting too hot.
“Layer up, but do thin layers,” said Kihoro. “Maybe use cotton, because cotton’s a pretty warm material.”
Wool and cotton are warm, but these fabrics can be too warm and too bulky. When considering what clothes to wear, keep in mind the material, because it could mean the difference between sweating in class and having a cool, breezy school day.
Another problem students encounter is the size of their jacket. The day usually consists of commutes between multiple locations and students don’t always have enough space to manage their bulky belongings.
“I try to wear as few jackets as possible because I don’t have a locker, so I have to put them in my backpack. The less I have, the better, because I don’t have too much room in there,” said junior Alex Polen.
No matter your opinion on jackets or the time of day you pick out your clothes, considering the weather is a crucial step to being comfortable every day.