Pitch Perfect 2 Hits the Big Screens

Pitch Perfect 2 came out on May 15, 2015 and took the nation by storm, knocking the Avengers movie from its number one spot.

The movie starts out with Fat Amy, played by Rebel Wilson, completely humiliating the Bellas and ruining their name on national television. The Bellas return back to Barden University to find that they are no longer able to participate at the collegiate level in America. Luckily the Acapella World Championship that year is in Copenhagen so they are able to perform and compete to win their spots back on campus. While everyone else in the Bellas is focused on trying to prepare for the competition, Becca is looking forward to the future and lands an internship with a major producer.

As the competition gets closer the Bellas struggle to find their sound. While muddling through their year the Bellas have to come face to face with Das Sound Machine, a German Acapella group that stole their tour. Finally after a disastrous performance the girls go to a retreat run by Aubry, a former Bella. Aubry puts the girls through rigorous team building exercises till they can’t take it. Becca, played by Anna Kendrick, tries to leave and admits that she is worried about the future. The girls have a pow-wow where they spill all of their feelings. They eventually find their sound and go on to the World Championship.

While the movie earned its place as number one, it did not quite live up to the hype following the first movie. The movie focused less on character development. The jokes were raunchier and the commentary was cruder. Pitch Perfect was an underdog and took everyone by surprise, while this movie followed the same basic plot line and had no surprises in store.  The music was not as good as the mash-ups lacked originality and were indistinguishable from the music of the first. The commentary from John was sexist and sometimes just plain offensive.

A part of me still loved the movie as you see all of your favorite characters again. You get to see where they end up and what they decide to do with their lives. There are finally answers about the unresolved love interests between a few of the characters. As someone who loved the first movie I was happy with the way they handled the second one. The writers were able to bring everything to a close quite nicely and personally it tied up some loose ends. If you enjoyed the first movie I would recommend going to watch the second movie but don’t rush out to see it. I would recommend going to see it during the matinee or waiting till it comes out on Netflix.