The surgeons are back in the operating room

Senior Spartans get into their scrubs as fans of “Grey’s Anatomy” came out of the woodwork on Character Day during Homecoming Spirit Week.

Photo courtesy of Taylor Buckner

Marie Laverdiere, Business Editor

The medical drama, “Grey’s Anatomy” encompasses more than surgeries and shots, it provides its viewers with relationship lessons and life stories.
“Grey’s Anatomy” originally aired in March 2005, on ABC, and entered its 12th Season in September. The show takes place in Seattle and follows the professional and personal lives of doctors; it is produced by Shonda Rhimes.
Throughout its 12 seasons, it has covered a range of subjects even though each episode follows the same general structure: patients need medical help, and doctors need life help. “Grey’s”—as its fans commonly refer it to–—had dramatic events at the end of Season 11 and left its followers anxious for more.
Most notably, Derek Shepherd (aka. McDreamy) died after a tragic car accident and left main character, Meredith Grey a widow with three children.
“I’m worried that Meredith Grey will forget what her past life was and move forward with her current life without Derek,” said junior Rebekah Lawrence. “I’m worried that it will change her identity as Meredith Grey. She’s already lost her mother, her previous friends in earlier seasons, and most importantly Derek and Cristina. [They] were her rock, and now they’re both [gone] and she’ll have to cope without them… she’ll forget who she is and the people closest to her.”
Cristina Yang left the show during Season 11, but to fans, that wound is still fresh because Alex Karev continues to replace her as Meredith’s “person.”
Other fans think that another character could be removed from the show, but would Shonda Rhimes really break her fans’ hearts to that extent?
“I think someone will get killed off dramatically like they sadly do most seasons,” said sophomore Alana Goodwin.
Goodwin,, like other “Grey’s” followers, chose “Grey’s” over other shows to watch because it’s so unique and can even provide its audience with intellectual vocabulary.
“I watch ‘Grey’s’ because it’s full of drama, surgery, and some comedy. I love all the dramatic things that have happened in characters lives and how they overcome it. I also think I’ve learned at least 10 medical terms I didn’t know before watching it,” said Goodwin.
Although Season 12 is only starting to unravel, viewers will begin questioning whether there is any more that Rhimes can add to the show.
“I think this is the last season because there’s really nothing else they can do; Cristina has already reached her career of being a cardiosurgeon, and Meredith has her own family…and since everyone’s gone there’s really nothing you can add to the story,” said Lawrence.