The clowns are back… with red balloons

This is possibly one of the most iconic scenes in both the original and the remake of “It.” People have been making memes about this scene, asking each other what the clown, Pennywise, would have to say for them to go into the sewer.

IMDb

IMDb

Noelle Ha, Oracle Online Editor

The new and improved “It” movie is a big hit. The movie was released in mid-September 2017 and has been sold out everywhere.
The original movie was made in 1990, directed by Tommy Lee Wallance, based on the novel written by Stephen King. In September 2017, 27 years later, a new “It” movie was made, and didn’t let the scary reputation down. The new It movie was directed by Andy Muschietti, who has directed another well-known horror movie, “Mama”.
There was controversy whether or not the remake would be up to par with the original. Since the movie came out there have been split reviews about which is better, the original or the remake. The original may not have as many special effects, but some people believe that’s what made it scarier. The clown in the original is more realistic and has fewer jump scares. In the remake there are a lot more special effects, from Georgie getting his arm bitten off to blood spewing out of a sink. In the remake there is a more comedic aspect along with the jump scares.
The biggest difference between the two was the look of the clown. The original clown was more realistic and wasn’t as detailed, but instead focused more on the basics of the pasty white face and bright red nose. The new clown is more monstrous looking rather than a clown you’d see at a circus.
From watching both the original and the remake I would say that the new It is going to be a bigger hit than the original. Personally, I liked the remake because of the special effects, although at times it was obviously fake. The remake had much better video quality which intrigued me since I grew up with that quality, and I’m not used to watching not-so-great quality movies. Besides the quality and effects I would choose the remake over the original because adding some humor to the movie made it better with a touch of sarcastic comedy. But, both stayed true to Stephen King’s novel.
The ending of both versions of It brings a sense of rallying emotions. Having just been through a life changing traumatizing experience, the children realize that their journey is over and they have to part ways. Overall, I would recommend both, but preferably the remake.

• The clowns are back… with red balloons

Entertainment

Which Joker is better?

Entertainment

American Horror Story gets political

Entertainment

D.C.’s finest slice

Entertainment

WS students encounter celebrities

• Entertainment

Celebrities: all grown up

Entertainment

“The Nun”: Truly scary?

• Entertainment

Come Into the Woods next month

• Entertainment

Viewers love Simon

Entertainment

Classic Christmas song gone wrong?

Entertainment

Fun winter activities for all

The clowns are back… with red balloons