The WS Madrigals journey to the top!

A few of the Madrigal members taking a group photo at Homestead.

Katie Ours, Scoop Editor

The holiday season has new events for many WS students, and the Madrigals are no exception. Recently performing at the Virginia Music Educators Association at the Homestead in Virginia, the Madrigals have had an exciting fall season, and start to winter.
Getting to perform for some of the best music teachers in the state of Virginia was a great experience for the Madrigals, and they appreciated the opportunity to showcase their skills.
“Singing in the Virginia Music Educators Awards was a really unique experience because we were performing for the top musical educators in the state who have a greater understanding of the quality of our performance than our usual audience at concerts,” said junior Kyle Mahoney. “This made the performance especially nerve-wracking because we were performing the most challenging selection of songs the Madrigals have ever performed.”
This, however, is not the only chance the Madrigals had to showcase their amazing voices. They caroled at the Springfield Country Club and are planning a trip to carol at the National Christmas Tree in Washington D.C., an event that has not happened in a few years.
“The best thing we do all season is either Secret Santa or caroling,” said senior Audrey Wever. “Especially since we are singing at the National Christmas Tree this year. That is very exciting for us, we haven’t done it yet but I’m sure it will be as amazing and exciting as it always is when performing with the Madrigals.”
Joining the entire choir department the Madrigals also participate in the annual Breakfast with Santa, an event for the children in the community of West Springfield, featuring two hours of song and dance, as well as the Spartan choir dressed as many Disney characters.
The Madrigals continue on with their busy schedule full of caroling and spreading holiday cheer all over Virginia and Washington D.C. this holiday season.
They are doing what they love and even better, they are sharing it with others.
“It is pretty amazing singing with a group of kids who all love to sing and are not there for an easy A or for a friend, but actually care about the group,” said Wever. “It is a great family to be a part of.”