The paws that refreshes

Pets help us relieve strain of daily stress

Anna Marucci

Anna Marucci

Anya Hawkins, Managing Editor

High school days can be long and tiring, but coming home to an ecstatic, furry pet sure does make your day a whole lot better.
Who needs human best friends when you have your pets? No matter how terrible your day was, one look into your pet’s eyes and their playful tail wagging will make you forget all about the test you flunked earlier that day. Forget about life’s worries and that big project that you procrastinated, cuddle with your pet.
Students have spent hours over the school year taking pictures with their pets or playing with them, instead of doing any sort of work. And that’s okay. It’s only high school after all. High school lasts four years, your pets seem to last forever.
“Being able to play with my dog and pet her got my mind off of school, so it was a nice break from homework and all,” said junior Lauren Woods.
Let’s face it, we all wish we had our pet’s life. Cats just run and hide from people that try to encounter them. Dogs sleep and bark at people they don’t like, and get treats for going to the bathroom. That sounds 100x better than a day in high school.
“[I wish I had my pets life] probably once a week,” said junior Anna Marcucci.
Not only do pets help students on school days, but also on the weekends. Most students have multiple school assignments to do, but it’s always nice to go for a walk with your dog or take some time to relax or laugh at whatever weird thing your pet might be doing.
“Most of my weekend is actually spent avoiding homework and just playing with [Sheldon],” said sophomore Ellie Batson.
Doing homework is challenging no matter what, but having a pet to cheer you up while you do it makes it a little more enjoyable. On the other hand, they can be distracting.
“When I play my trumpet she would always start howling with it, which is super adorable, but distracting from what I was trying to practice,” said Woods.
Even if they distract you from work or are your excuse for not completing work, students cannot deny that their pets help them get through the school year. As the classes get harder, and the tests get closer, the more students look to their pets for support.
“Whenever I go play with them or pet them, they’re so happy and can always cheer me up and calm me down,” said Marcucci.

• The paws that refreshes

Join the walk and take a stand against trafficking

• The paws that refreshes

Romano honors mom during yearly Raccoon Run

• The paws that refreshes

Minds matter, so protect them—wear a helmet

• The paws that refreshes

Building trust

• The paws that refreshes

International Night showcases Spartan diversity

• The paws that refreshes

FCPS students reach out to others during Spring Break in Ecuador

• The paws that refreshes

Honoring the memory of Leslie Sherman

• The paws that refreshes

Top Stories

Just how clean is our water?

• The paws that refreshes

Keeping up with our classic construction problems

• The paws that refreshes

Global warming gears up

The paws that refreshes