Students’ love of learning surpasses all else

Back to Article
Back to Article

Senior Paul Hughs works diligently as he prepares for his upcoming AP exam. He, along with other WS students, is excited to continue learning after tests end.

Shannon Gage

Shannon Gage

Shannon Gage

Shannon Gage, Forum Editor

Sweating profusely and rapidly scribbling detailed notes in his binder, senior Josh Hinnant leaned forward in his seat, eagerly reading every word of the physics textbook in front of him.
“I took my AP Physics exam yesterday, but the learning doesn’t stop there,” said Hinnant, looking up from his textbook for a few seconds while continuing to vigorously shake the desk with the force of his note-taking. “It’s only just begun.”
As the AP exam season comes to a close, WS students are earnestly soaking up all the knowledge they can.
“School’s about knowledge. Kids don’t care about tests—just knowledge,” said junior Brady Johnson, who sold one of his kidneys on the black market for answers to the AP Literature exam.
WS students are famous for valuing learning over test-taking. That’s why they’re continuing to strive for academic excellence even when it no longer counts.
“I’d take learning over passing a test any day. It might mean I don’t get into college and I end up jobless and homeless, but at least I’ll know how use the Pythagorean Theorem,” said sophomore Salma Gill.
The education system, all students agree, is structured so that gaining knowledge is the biggest priority.
“Everyone knows school is about learning,” said freshman Enrique Gonzalez. “If you’re a good test-taker, you’ll pass, and if you’re a bad test-taker, you’ll fail. But yeah, it’s about learning.”
WS students are so dedicated to their education that they consider the end of AP exam season the beginning of their full learning experience, when they can continue their pursuit of knowledge unbarred by any tests or incentives for academic achievement.
“Now that nothing I do in school will have any effect on my future, I’m really motivated to do well,” said senior Tom Hicks.
Many students have expressed dread about the fast-approaching end of the school year.
“I wake up every morning and can’t wait to get here so I can soak up more knowledge. I love it here, and so does everyone else,” said sophomore Monica Morales.
As the year comes to a close, students prepare to go their separate ways. But they will always have memories of their years of wholehearted knowledge-seeking to unite them.
“The dust in the air, the sounds of construction equipment drifting in through the window, the smells of gas and unidentified chemicals—it’s a learning sanctuary. I’m going to miss it,” said senior Rachel Park.

• Students’ love of learning surpasses all else

ETC.

Competition brew between bubble tea businesses

ETC.

Spring has sprung

ETC.

Girl Up drive

ETC.

Senioritis spreads as acceptances roll in

ETC.

Applied History: a history lover’s dream

ETC.

A new year, a new Spartan

• ETC.

A senior’s magically unlucky day

• ETC.

The Grinch who stole the theaters

ETC.

A gift guide that can be used for the rest of your life

ETC.

A Dressember to remember forever