Winter holidays creep into the Halloween season

Teacher+Tammy+Riggins+shows+her+Halloween+spirit+by+decorating+her+board+with+dark+curtains%2C+spiders%2C+skeletons%2C+bats%2C+witches+hats%2C+and+a+sticker+saying+Beware.+

Photo courtesy of Owais Khan

Teacher Tammy Riggins shows her Halloween spirit by decorating her board with dark curtains, spiders, skeletons, bats, witches’ hats, and a sticker saying “Beware”.

Owais Khan, Staff Writer

Sparkling silver trees lining the store walls. Holiday socks and sweaters are sold everywhere, as are costumes of everything from Frankenstein’s monster to Batman to the big man in a red suit himself. Starbucks begins production on their red cups. Yep, it’s that time of year again. That time of year where people aren’t too sure if its Christmas season or Halloween season, but they are celebrating nonetheless. Now that October has been going on for a while, commercial stores all around the United States have begun to sell their Halloween candy and decorations for the spookiest day of the year. Some have also begun to sell their costumes for the kids who are going trick-or-treating this year. The Christmas craze has also started, with some stores, such as Costco and other department stores, are selling Christmas trees and ornaments as well as having  large sales on toys for parents who want to hop on the latest trends and buy popular gifts for their children before it goes out of style. Companies certainly aren’t complaining, considering how stocks typically trend higher around this time of year, typically reaching their annual peak around the week before Christmas.

However, while businesses don’t mind, some people seem to be a little annoyed by how people are already getting ready for Christmas when it’s not even November yet, and there are still  two whole months until Christmas.

“It’s still a little too early to start with Halloween but I get that some people will. But it’s just October. Put the Christmas tinsel away,” said sophomore Caleb Lewis.

Some are also annoyed at how each month leading up towards Halloween night and Christmas are filled with things about both of these holidays.

“October is Halloween’s month, December is Christmas’ month. They don’t need to take over everything around them,” said junior James Roundy.

However, it seems like that will never change, as not only do companies profit heavily off this, there will always be people ready and willing to get into the holiday spirit.