A new year, a new Spartan

Students create New Year’s Resolutions

Photo courtesy of Jamie Bishop

Senior Ali Naderpoor’s resolution is to drink more water, which is shared by many students.

Abby Strong, Oracle Online Editor

New year, new resolutions. For many students, the seemingly eternity of 2018 has come to an end, and they are entering 2019 with hopes of making the most of the year by  setting resolutions and goals to better themselves.

Some seniors have created resolutions for 2019 with the intent of preparing them for when they graduate.

“My new year’s resolution is to stay on top of my grades and save money. I’m just trying to pass my classes with good grades, and save more money for when I go to college,” said senior Andrea Fernandez Diaz.

This is a common resolution among seniors as many want to finish high school with high grades to have their past work more rewarding from how it was diligent up to graduation.

“One of my goals is to finish [high school] strong because I like to take pride in my work,” said senior Rudy Guzman.

Other students choose to create resolutions that help them to excel in school so they will be prepared for the upcoming years.

“I want to do better in my classes this year, so I can study to become a physical therapist and go to college at Shenandoah University,” said sophomore Lucas Teclesenbet.

Something other students have chosen to do is stay away from the idea of new year’s resolutions altogether and aim for accomplishing checkpoints throughout the year.

“I prefer setting small goals compared to resolutions because it’s easier for me to achieve, and makes a larger goal more attainable later on,” said sophomore Jora Powers.

People who set goals throughout the whole year have an end point in mind for what they hope to accomplish, but don’t have a particular time frame in mind to completing the goal.

“I have short-term goals of working on homework to do better in school that will help me to accomplish long-term goals of understanding the material better,” said sophomore Lauren Kroger.

Some some of these goals will help them follow a healthier lifestyle. Some students feel they neglect their physical health and want to try to start better habits.

“I want to drink more water in the new years, because I want to get healthier,” said senior Ali Naderpoor.

Whether someone has a resolution or a goal, it is evident that WS students have for hope 2019, and are in search trying to better themselves for the future to come.

“I like to set resolutions to prepare myself for the new year with a new goal in mind,” said Teclesenbet.