High school Halloween

Should trick-or-treating come with an age limit?

A poll of 45 students at WS indicate that one can be too old to go trick-or-treating, but that doesn’t stop everyone.

Sumaya Zahid, News Editor

Halloween brings excitement to students of all grade levels. With all its costumes, candies, and parties, Halloween is easily one of the most popular fall holidays among high school students. Students celebrate this holiday many different ways, and preparing for it can take anywhere from hours to weeks to prepare for.
Trick or treating is one of the most prominent traditions of Halloween, and kids of all ages dress up every year for it. Dressed up as superheroes, food, animals, and cartoon characters, trick or treaters knock from door to door and are sure to bring back, what they would call, a heaven of candies and chocolates. Although parents might disagree and regard them as a bag of cavities, trick or treaters think otherwise.
“I like going trick or treating even though people think it’s kind of childish,” said sophomore Stephanie Sehwender. “I just like dressing up in a costume and getting free candy.”
Trick or treaters include high schoolers as well, and the controversial topic of whether high school students are too old to trick or treat is often brought up every fall. However, high school trick or treaters have no issue with it.
“I don’t really have a set age to stop trick or treating, but I would like to do it as long as I can,” said Sehwender.
Other students, however, think it’s past their age to take part in the tradition any more and are celebrating Halloween without the trick or treating.
“I stopped trick-or-treating in 7th grade. I had always had a great time walking around with friends and such but I’ve outgrown it,” said senior Sophia Wasilisin.
But there is more to Halloween than just trick or treating. As a result of Halloween, spooky movies, such as Scream and Casper, become very popular in the fall season.
“My favorite Halloween movie is The Nightmare Before Christmas,” said Wasilisin. “It’s sort of a dual-holiday movie, but as I’ve gotten older, I’ve grown to love the songs and watching [it] with my family.”
The date of Halloween is also a topic that has recently been in the news. Earlier this summer, Halloween and Costume Association started a petition to move the date of Halloween to the last Saturday of October and the petition currently has around 150,000 signatures.
“I feel like the date should not be changed because that’s part of Halloween culture to have it on the 31st,” said Sehwender. “We shouldn’t change the tradition.”