Best friends stay active in Spartan community

Maddie Winslow, Features Editor

Nearly 10 years after graduating, two Spartan alumni are still involved in the Spartan community.
Sam Donnelly Jonsson and Leann Spinosa Tait have been best friends since childhood. Jonsson currently teaches Marketing and Leadership here, and is involved in DECA and the Student Government Association (SGA) and Tait is a coach for the Varsity Field Hockey team.
Both graduated from here in 2006 and during their time in high school they participated in the activities that they are still involved in today.
Jonsson and Tait agree that once being the student participating in these activities has helped them be the person in charge.
“I was once in their shoes,” says Tait, who played Spartan Field Hockey, “I can relate to how they are feeling before a game, or after a loss.”
Since they were once participants in these activities, they know what it is like to be the player and the student. They have a better understanding of the students and can relate to them at a deeper level because they know what it was like to be a student who participates in extra-curricular activities. It is easier to recognize the amount of work it takes to be involved in these extra-curriculars.
“Being a student-athlete is hard work and finding that balance is crucial,” said Tait.
The two women also use the memories that they made in high school to help them be leaders in this community now. They enjoyed being involved in these activities while attending high school and want to create the same memories for their players and students now.
“I still remember being in high school and being in these clubs; it was a lot of fun for me,” said Jonsson, who was a member of DECA and SGA in high school, “I want to provide [that fun] to students now.”
The memories created while participating in these activities have helped them to give the students now similar experiences.
Jonsson and Tait grew up together being a part of the Spartan community and have remained best friends; they were even in each other’s weddings this past year.
So what is it that keeps these two women still so involved ? The Spartan community is a strong one embraces its students, past and present.
“WS as a whole has a nice sense of community; it’s always been that way as long as I can remember,” said Jonsson.