FBLA gives back for Kristi

The Future Business Leaders of America Club participates in many different activities, including holding toy and coat drives for Kristi’s Christmas. The goal is to teach its members to give back and get involved.

Photo courtesy of Sherry Virden

Madison Edwards, Oracle Staff Writer

The Future Business Leaders of America has decided to give back; the club hosted a toy and coat drive for Kristi’s Christmas.
The charity started back in 1989 for a 19 year old girl named Kristi who lost her life in a car accident. Kristi loved to help children that were less fortunate, so her family started the charity in her honor.
FBLA is keeping Kristi’s spirit alive by keeping the charity going at WS. The drive was held in room 40, which allowed students to come by between November 11th and December 9th and make a donation.
The charity’s purpose is to provide the less fortunate children in Fairfax County with food, toys, clothing, and school supplies. All of the children attend schools within the county, and school staff identifies the needs of children and creates a relationship between the child and the charity. The charity has been known to help children in a variety of ways, such as paying for a child to attend summer camp or a field trip, and providing them with school supplies and other necessities throughout the year. Some organizations that contribute to the charity are West Springfield Rotary, The Springfield Waterford and many others.
Every year, FBLA has participated in the event held in December at Waterford in Springfield. Jennifer Peeler, personal finance teacher and FBLA sponsor at WS, participated in the Kristi’s Christmas charity all four years of high school, from 1995-1999. Now she is ready to give members of the club a chance to experience what she did.
“My goal is for students and FBLA members to understand the importance of giving back,” said Peeler.
Members of the FBLA were very excited for the coat and toy drive event.
“Hopefully the drive will influence the members to go out and do more drives not just for FBLA but for other organizations as well,” said Sophia Abebe, 12th grade member of FBLA.
The members’ enthusiasm helped make the event more memorable and encouraging for students to go out and give back to charities more often. Peeler encourages members like Abebe to give back, and is hoping for a positive outcome.
The club’s participation will allow students to realize how fortunate they are and how important it is to give back.
“Students always have such amazing stories to tell after working the event as well,” said Peeler.