WS students leave their mark on WS

The+Oceanography+class+is+painting+the+walls+as+if+they+where+looking+out+a+porthole+on+a+ship.+

Photo courtesy of Zobia Nayyar

The Oceanography class is painting the walls as if they where looking out a porthole on a ship.

Erin Newby, Features Editor

Murals have been around since the dawn of time. They are a testament to man kind’s creativity and a way to inspire and rally people to together. The major role of murals is to band communities together.
The WS Art Program is responsible for most of the murals in the senior and other walk ways in the school.
Not all the murals are created by the National Art Honor Society; some of them are created by other students.
It started almost 20 years ago when seniors had a project to make art on the walls of WS. Those are the murals in the Art hallway by the art classrooms. Some of those murals date back to over two decades ago. Some of the murals are named and dated, while others are not.
“Some of the murals go back 20 years ago and it has been a long standing tradition at this school,” said art teacher Kathy Rehm.
Students creating art has always had a huge impact on the education system. By having students express themselves in an artistic way, they are able to make the school not just a school, but a part of them. The murals started out as a senior only project, but then graduated to a volunteer biased project. It is a way for the students to put back personality into the school.
“Art is a way to be expressive, but it can be hard on your ego,” said Rehm.
When it comes to art in a public school, sometimes it can be censored due to the graphic rarity of what the artist wants to portray in their work of art.
However, it is important to keep the idea of the main piece of art alive rather than censor all of it. Rehm has tried to make sure the kids get the most creative freedom they can when giving back to the school in an artistic way.
The WS murals have been at the school for a long time and they give the school the right touch of personality that it needs to be less of a prison and more of an establishment of learning.
Each mural is a reflection of a different student that walked down the same hallway in the school.
Walking down the hallways we are able to see the personality of the students and meet people without really meeting them. Walking down the art hallway we are able to see many different stories left behind by students from the past.
“Some kids relate to different murals and it makes them feel homey,” said Shoults.
Students need to feel like they have a connection to their school.
It is important to have a place to go to express yourself and find an outlet that makes the school feel like a place to be proud of.
“There are not many creative options [at school], it gives you a place to go express yourself,” said senior Lilly Donahue.
At times walking down a high school hall way can feel like walking down Skid Row.
There are students sleeping in piles on the floors people are talking to themselves, kids lugging their whole lives in bags.
Murals painted by students for students brighten up the school and add personality to the building and brings life into its dead carcasses.
“Because we have all these programs that make you the same, it’s good to have an outlet that lets you create,” said Donahue.