Say ‘Hola!’ to our new Spanish teacher

Michelle Caldwell-Weiner takes the effort to challenge her students so kids can be more knowledgeable about the Spanish language and background.

Photo courtesy of Katelynn Rodriguez

Katelynn Rodriguez, Business Editor

WS had her at Hola. Spartans presented a warm welcome to new Spanish teacher, Michelle Caldwell-Weiner, to the foreign languages department.

Before her career in teaching, Caldwell-Weiner majored in Journalism, but decided English just wasn’t her thing. She took a big leap, and decided that Spanish was her calling.

When she began teaching Spanish, she taught the upper levels of high school then transferred to the elementary level, and then back to high school.

“She’s figuring out how to transition, but I think she’s doing good,” said junior Paige Kelly, who is in one of Caldwell-Weiner’s Spanish 3 classes.

Once she realized she wanted to make her return to teaching high school, she began her search for the next place to call home. For anyone, starting a new school or job for anyone can be a terrifying experience, so it’s essential to know that the next destination is …the one.

“The faculty I met in my interviews were people I felt were good people to work with […] and build relationships with,” said Caldwell-Weiner.

There were other factors going into her search for a new workplace­, like reputation. Fortunately, WS is known for its outstanding academic reputation and achievements, which is mostly what attracted her to the Spartan family.

“I prefer the challenges of the upper level,” said Caldwell-Weiner.

She commenced her year at WS with her impactful, challenging aspects of learning with her students. She strives to push her students, so that each one can develop more knowledge and experience the culture of the Spanish world even further and hopefully learn to love it as much as she does.

“I’m getting lower grades because it’s challenging. I have to study more, but it will benefit later,” said freshman Milia Cronin, who is in one of Caldwell-Weiner’s Spanish 2 classes.

Caldwell-Weiner’s impact extends much farther than her students, but with her fellow teachers at WS as well. She has learned to be a part of the Spartan family, and she has accepted naturally as if it was meant to be.

“Sra. Caldwell has wholeheartedly embraced the Spartan family.  She has made sure to know as much as she can about our students, faculty, and community in order to better support them,” said Mary Dailey, Spanish teacher at WS.

Her background in Spanish has been a lesson towards other Spanish teachers at WS. Whether it was new ideas for activities and lessons or new studying techniques for her students, Caldwell-Weiner always has something to bring to the table.

“[She] brings a wealth of experience to our World Languages Department.[…] Having her experience and perspective blended with our current Spanish teachers has strengthened our program,” said Dailey.