Teachers win a free classroom move to Sparta

Carter Macdonald, Viewpoint Editor

With the Great Classroom Switch-A-Roo, teachers who taught inside were moved to trailers, while a few trailer teachers were moved inside.  It was an obvious change for students, but especially the faculty, who work long hours at WS.
The classroom transition went pretty smoothly.  As smoothly as a rearrangement of the entire school can be, that is.
“Well, it was a very easy process because we didn’t have to move any of our own materials.  Some boxes went to the wrong rooms, but that was quickly fixed,” said math and computer science teacher David Murray.
Reactions varied, although excitement was the dominant one.  Nevertheless, for everyone, it as a new experience.
“I was excited to find out that my new classroom was going to be in the building,” said English teacher Stephanie Van.  “I have been in the trailers since I started at WSHS, so I knew it was going to be a new experience.  I am enjoying being able to run down the hall for my copies instead of running inside.”
The reshuffling was not without its downsides, however.  From having class outside to quick access to conveniences, teachers on both sides of the equation have found things they miss.  They’ve also found disappointments.
“I don’t go outside as much as I used to, which I miss greatly.  The first thing I did when I moved into the new building was put my desk as close to the windows as I could get,” said English teacher Katie Waite.  “Also, my new room is comprised of cinderblocks; I forgot about those.”
Furthermore, one major problem with the trailers is the inconvenience.  One example of this is the sheer distance it takes to go places, even with outdoor amenities.
“I miss quick access to the teacher workroom to make copies or use the bathroom,” said math teacher Shannon Rapoza, who moved to a trailer this year.
The big-ticket issue that will become more relevant in the coming months, however, is how Sparta is going to endure the annual inclement weather.  While it’s all good now on that front, it won’t be long before the back “hallway” becomes an ice skating rink.
“I can see if the weather’s bad, we can all wish we were back in the building, but it’s the honeymoon period right now,” said Murray.
While the trailers are inconvenient on multiple fronts, there are also benefits.  They can actually be seen as the better option.
“I like the trailers better, especially during the renovation,” said Rapoza.  “I love my trailer! I love how clean it is, and that I can control the temperature.”
In general, though, it seems like it doesn’t really matter whether or not certain teachers are in trailers. After all, they can, and will, teach in both situations.
“I love teaching no matter where I am.  The classroom is not what makes the teacher,” said Van.