Spartans need sponsors for their clubs

Zobia Nayyar, Managing Editor

WS has lost a lot in the past year, for example, half of the building. But one piece of WS that is now gone has left an impact on many students: the loss of several faculty members, particularly, many club sponsors.

The Environmental Club and the Muslim Student Association (MSA) have experienced delays in the opening of their clubs due to their club sponsors leaving the school.

“We couldn’t get the club started on time,” said senior and MSA president Mohammad Alnoor.

Most clubs open up the year with interest meetings in September and early October since that is the time most students are hungry to join more extracurricular activities. It’s harder to gain the interest of students later in the year when they have already committed to other clubs.

“[Not having a sponsor] is really hurting us because the beginning of the year is really important,” said senior and FBLA (Future Business Leaders of America) officer Farahey Kabir. “It’s when we start fundraising; it’s when you get your dues in and that’s when you send your dues in to the state.”

FBLA has not been able to open their club up at all this year since they have no sponsor.

“[The officers and I] have talked to the business teacher who is currently a substitute but he might not be available at all and the marketing teachers aren’t available,” said Kabir.

The loss of Spartan Fest has also been hurting clubs. Spartan Fest was a time where several clubs would fundraise money by selling food or playing games. It makes it difficult for clubs to run because many of them relied on the money they obtained from Spartan Fest.

“We usually raise the most money out of any other club at Spartan Fest for most years,” said Alnoor.

It’s important for all kinds of clubs to open up at WS because it provides for more opportunities for students to engage with other students of similar interests. All clubs at WS have also made a lasting impact on the school.

“Environmental [Club] has a lot of cleanups in the courtyard and around the school,” said senior Sasha Vaughn. “It also raises awareness to things people don’t normally think about.”

Debate clubs such as FBLA have made an impact that goes further than the walls of WS.

“We’ve done Kristi’s Christmas for the past two years and we’ve been going to regional conferences and some of us have gone to state conferences,” said Kabir.

Clubs play an important role in the changes they have made this school a better learning environment. Teachers, in order to make our school a better place, please step up and sponsor a club that is in desperate need of a sponsor.

“It’s easier to know what we’re doing [with the club] because the teachers have access to everything and you can go to them if you have any questions,” said Vaughn.