Safe ‘Haven’ for Lee

Math+teacher+Jae+Lee+and+his+wife+welcome+their+baby+daughter%2C+Haven+Lee%2C+who+was+born+last+fall.+

Photo courtesy of Jae Lee

Math teacher Jae Lee and his wife welcome their baby daughter, Haven Lee, who was born last fall.

Alice Ji, Features Editor

Algebra 2 teacher, Jae Lee, may be able to teach the quadratic formula and factoring to his numerous students, but nobody taught him how to be a father when his baby daughter, Haven, came into the world this past fall.
Although he has taught for years in the math department at WS, becoming a new dad is unexplored territory for Lee.
Now that a little Lee has been added to his family, it would be an understatement to say that Lee’s life has changed.
“Everything has changed in my life. Haven is my boss now; everything revolves around her,” said Lee.
Despite the fact that parenthood involves crying, stinky diapers, and no sleep, Lee remains positive and ecstatic about the tiny addition to the Lee clan. So much so that his colleagues can testify to it.
“He [Lee] never complains nor has he said that he is more tired even though I bet he probably is; he’s thrilled to be a dad,” said WS math teacher Debbie Larsen.
In his journey of mastering parenthood, family has remained as a central part of Lee’s life and a key factor in developing as a father. His family continues to be his number one priority and, of course, that means baby Haven too.
“His family is very important to him. He puts them first and I think that is very important in parenthood,” said Larsen.
The characteristics that make Lee a student favorite at WS are also qualities that would benefit him in raising Haven. Lee’s pupils praise him for his sense of humor and kind character.
“I think Mr. Lee is very caring, patient, funny, and beautiful!” said junior Marty Salamone.
Entering into a new stage in his life, it is reasonable to feel excited but at the same time nervous and vulnerable about being a new dad. However Lee stays grateful and fortunate for things that, in our busy and hectic lives, are often taken for granted.
“After becoming a dad, I appreciate my wife even more,” said Lee. “I feel happy that I have a wonderful family and friends who give me great emotional support. Lastly, I am grateful that Haven is healthy, happy, and growing well.”