You should double-think your decision to get a private Twitter

Private twitters have become a popular trend in students’ lives. To them, their private twitter can be a place where they aren’t judged by others. However, some think that “PTs” are pointless because many tend to screenshot things and send them to others.

Katelyn Bradford, Oracle Staff Writer

A “private” Twitter account is a misnomer; one screenshot and your secret is out.
Recently, private Twitter accounts, or “PTs,” as they are commonly called, have become increasingly popular, in part because students these accounts for a variety of reasons.

“I like to speak my mind, and having a private Twitter allows me to do that without being scared I’ll be judged,” said junior Daniel Elinan.
Private Twitter accounts allow their owners to restrict who can see their tweets. They serve as an outlet for individuals to practice freedom of speech without worrying about others’ responses.

“I personally think that private Twitter is like one big group chat. Regular Twitter is nice and all, but sometimes there is just so much on my feed, and I don’t care to see half of it,” said senior Nathan Abey.
Typically, Person A would feel obligated to follow Person B on Twitter if Person B decided to follow Person A. Further, there is social pressure to follow classmates, mutual friends, or and acquaintances. Following so many different people can become problematic when it leads to an overload of information upon opening Twitter. However, when using private Twitter accounts, the “obligation” to accept someone as a follower or to follow a distant acquaintance back isn’t there.

“If someone doesn’t let me follow their private Twitter, then I usually just look at their account from a friend’s Twitter who follows them,” said freshman Joe Burke.
This demonstrates the “not so private” part of a private Twitter. If someone wants to see an account, they will find a means to do so. Therefore, tweeting unpleasant comments or gossip on one’s private Twitter isn’t in one’s best interest.

“I don’t see the point of private Twitters because I usually always end up seeing screenshots of people’s accounts anyways,” said junior Pablo Abad.
While private Twitter accounts may sound appealing, that “privacy” does not truly exist. Still, like with most things in life, there is nothing to fear if one uses private Twitter is with the right intentions.