Get involved at WS by joining a club

Sophomore John Beckman, founder of the community service club, works on making a poster for his club to inform others of what the community service club is all about.

Ryan Brewer

Ryan Brewer

Ryan Brewer, ETC. Editor

WS offers a variety of clubs and activities for students who are interested in broadening their field of interest and involvement with the community. This year is no exception as a variety of new clubs have been introduced including Girl Up, Community Service, and the Conservative Club.

“I enjoy clubs because they give me something to do after school, and take my mind off of school for a little,” said sophomore Johnathan Tagilleri who is a member of the Ping-Pong club.                             A new club at WS this year is the Conservative Club started by sophomore Parker Brown, and Harry Bolvin.

I feel like the club will be a good opportunity for students to express their conservative views, and participate in the political world,” said Bolvin.

The club plans on holding meetings monthly and all who wish the express their ideas are welcome to come, but will not hold any official meetings until next year.

“We do not wish to exclude anyone who wants to share their point of view,” said Bolvin.

Also new to WS this year is Girl Up. Girl Up is a nonprofit organization that helps support organizations globally that fight for woman’s rights. The club was started by senior Constanza Hasselman, and sponsored by Tisa Fredrick.

“It provides an outlet for both men and woman to express their concerns for woman’s issues all across the world,” said Fredrcik.

Clubs also offer kids a chance to give back to the community and find new opportunities that they may not have thought of.

“I started The Community Service club because I wanted students to be able to obtain their community service hours that they need”, said John Beckman, who started a focused on helping the community which will be sponsored by History teacher Nicole Smith.

“I chose to sponsor this club because community service has always been a part of my life,” said Smith.

The first meeting for the Community Service club will be May 11th.

“I’m excited for what we will be able to accomplish in the community”, said Beckman.

All clubs here at WS are meant to make a difference in both the world and the community and are an integral part of the school’s identity.

“I hope that helping them through these small acts will encourage students to continue to do small acts of service throughout their lives,” said Smith.

• Get involved at WS by joining a club

Join the walk and take a stand against trafficking

• Get involved at WS by joining a club

Romano honors mom during yearly Raccoon Run

• Get involved at WS by joining a club

Minds matter, so protect them—wear a helmet

• Get involved at WS by joining a club

Building trust

• Get involved at WS by joining a club

International Night showcases Spartan diversity

• Get involved at WS by joining a club

FCPS students reach out to others during Spring Break in Ecuador

• Get involved at WS by joining a club

Honoring the memory of Leslie Sherman

• Get involved at WS by joining a club

Top Stories

Just how clean is our water?

• Get involved at WS by joining a club

Keeping up with our classic construction problems

• Get involved at WS by joining a club

Global warming gears up

Get involved at WS by joining a club