Leadership class works hard to make pep rally a success

Photo courtesy of Rebecca Geiger

Processed with VSCO with nc preset

Katie Ours, Oracle Editor

With the beginning of the school year comes an age-old high school tradition: Homecoming. The week of Homecoming is full of activities to celebrate the occasion including the pep rally, the football game, the parade, and the dance itself. One important tradition in this week is the Homecoming court.
For these students, homecoming is a time when they get acknowledged by their peers for being someone they want to be represented by as a class and as a school. The voting takes place on Blackboard and the classes choose who they want to be in the court and to represent their grade.
“The best part about being on homecoming court would probably be being able to represent my class,” said sophomore Mira Torzewski. “I felt extremely supported by my friends and teachers.”
The Homecoming court gets to participate in three main events during this celebratory week: the in-school pep rally, the parade, and the football game halftime show. In past years this has remained constant, however, this year not only the location changed but the pep rally presentation of the court changed as well. Having been in the auditorium in the past, the court nominees could choose a friend or a date to walk across the stage with them, but this year that was not the case.

“I was a little upset that I could not pick who I wanted to escort, but I understand that there is a budget and I respect that decision,” said senior Michael Woo.

The nominees were asked to find another member of the court to escort them across the gym during the rally. In some cases, the decision of who to couple up with was easy, it was clear that they would escort each other across the gym.

“I wanted to walk out with Tess,” said senior Rebecca Geiger. “She is my best friend, but if she had not been on it I would have been sad. I was just lucky that she was also on the homecoming court.”

The pep rally, however, was not the only event that the homecoming court got to participate in. On Friday, September 28th, the school had its annual homecoming parade, featuring clubs, sports, the Band, and Homecoming court. The court rode in convertibles through the neighborhood surrounding WS and threw candy to onlookers.

“The best part of being on the court was definitely the parade,” said Geiger. “It was really fun to see all of the kids. They were so cute, and I got to throw candy at them. It was just really cool seeing people… who knew me as a kid and get to see me now.”