AP Scholar Breakfast recognizes Spartan scholars

Students recognized for their achievements on AP exams and the PSAT/NMSQT

Photo courtesy of Mia Damiano

Senior Mia Damiano holds her certificates and poses for a photo with her parents. Damiano won both an AP Scholar Award and was commended for her performance on the PSAT/NMSQT

Katie Ours, Oracle Editor

The Advanced Placement Scholar Breakfast is an annual event that celebrates the achievements of some of the hardworking seniors who performed well on their AP exams. It also acknowledges those who have earned recognition as National Merit Scholars as well.
“It is just an opportunity to recognize them, especially as their senior year is starting, and we just want to recognize those kids that have worked hard up until that point and bring their parents in,” said Dean of Students Phil Cronin. “This is based on a body of work. It is what you started doing back your sophomore year and it recognizes these kids who not only started working hard very early but continued to work hard through their junior year.”

The event was open to all students who earned the AP Scholar, AP Scholar with Honors, AP Scholar with Distinction, and Merit Scholar awards. These awards range from taking at least three AP exams and got scores of three or higher, to taking at least five exams with a mean score of 3.5 and scores of three or higher, or that they performed well on their 11th grade PSAT.

“It means that I put in work for my four years in high school and although it is just a piece of paper I think it still signifies that I tried my best,” said senior Sam Meyer. “I think that [giving awards] is important but it should also not be given to everyone because that diminishes the idea of an award.”

For many of the students, this was a great opportunity to illustrate to their parents, community, and school that their hard work over the past few years has paid off and they are receiving recognition for it.

“School isn’t everything and I want others to strive to focus on what they’re passionate about, “If you work hard enough, you’ll eventually be recognized for it,” said senior Mia Damiano.

The students were able to invite their parents and loved ones to the breakfast and awards ceremony. Each student’s name was read, and they were presented with their award in front of their family, friends, and fellow Spartans.

Even though the students achieved great academic excellence the awards ceremony illustrated many other things to the students who were called to receive recognition.

“Being recognized as a merit scholar has made me feel like everything I’ve been through has been worth it, said Damiano. “The best part for me was getting to stand up there with people who I really admire and know that I belonged up there too.”