Spartan Girl Scouts make an impact

+Sophomore+Elizabeth+Breckenridge+participates+in+the+%E2%80%9Cbridge%E2%80%9D+ceremony+as+a+nine-year-old.+In+this+ceremony%2C+a+Girl+Scout+moves+from+one+level+to+a+higher+one.+Here%2C+Breckenridge+is+moving+from+%E2%80%9CBrownie%E2%80%9D+%282nd-4th+grade%29+to+%E2%80%9CJunior%E2%80%9D+status+%284th-6th+grade%29.

Photo courtesy of Elizabeth Breckenridge

Sophomore Elizabeth Breckenridge participates in the “bridge” ceremony as a nine-year-old. In this ceremony, a Girl Scout moves from one level to a higher one. Here, Breckenridge is moving from “Brownie” (2nd-4th grade) to “Junior” status (4th-6th grade).

Abby Strong, Oracle Online Editor

Thin Mints, Samoas, Tagalongs, Lemonades, and Do-Si-Dos: ‘tis the season to be jumping off the walls in a sugar-fueled frenzy Girl Scout cookies create. The Girl Scouts often are labeled simply as the organization that fundraises by selling famous, mouth-watering cookies, however, many people are unaware of the larger impact they have on the community.

Girl Scouts who start at a younger age begin volunteering through the organization by doing projects in the community. As Girl Scouts continue with the program and advance in rank, they begin to work with younger troops by hosting educational events.

“[Girl Scouts] have this event called Thinking Day. It is essentially an event that focuses on how Girls Scouts can make a change in the world,” said senior Rebecca Geiger.

Geiger has earned the Silver Trefoil Award that is given to any Girl Scout who has completed 100 or more hours of community service.

There are many other awards Girl Scouts are given relating to the work they do in the community. Senior Laura Biwer is currently trying to earn the Girl Scout Gold Award, which is given to Girl Scouts who create a project that make a long-lasting change in the community. The Gold Award requires lots of preparation and consideration as Girls Scouts aiming for this award want them to choose a project that means a lot to them. It is also the hardest award a Girl Scout can achieve. Girl Scouts normally choose a project that they can relate to.

“My project is titled ‘Healthy Vegetarian Eating for Busy Teens’. I host workshops where I have curated my favorite vegetarian [recipes] for teens to make that I have gotten from cookbooks,” said Biwer.

The different awards that Girl Scouts can receive are intended for impacting the community and personal growth. The awards teach life lessons to those who achieve them.

“I’ve learned a lot about integrity and leadership through earning different awards through the years,” said Biwer.

Often, Girl Scouts also gain skills that will help them in their future careers.

“I have learned about managing my time and the importance of communication by working with adults. My time working with kids taught me about business management and led me to become a certified babysitter,” said sophomore Elizabeth Breckenridge.

Girl Scouts focuses on enriching the minds and productivity of their participants with volunteering in the community. Spartans in the program are inspired to work with younger troops from their past experiences as a Girl Scout.

“My favorite part of Girl Scouts has been developing relationships and working together with other girls to inspire the younger generation of Girl Scouts,” said Geiger.