Book club turns over a new page

Senior MJ Denny leads a small group discussion about Jennifer Lynn Barnes’ “The Inheritance Games.” After the graduation of the previous presidents, Denny, Cruz and Masaitis sprung into action and became the new presidents.
Photo courtesy of Katelyn Hurley

The student-created Book Club has garnered more attention this year for its discussion-based activities and book-voting system.

The club was created during the 2021-2022 school year and was taken over in the following school year by current presidents and seniors MJ Denny, Katherine Cruz and Zachary Masaitis. 

“We definitely tried to market it a lot harder this year with our posters around the school, our Instagram and TikTok and getting the word of mouth out there,” said Denny.

Posters advertising the club invite students to attend meetings, regardless of whether one has read the book of the month or not. While more advertising has fostered more knowledge about Book Club, members have also been using more direct methods to gain higher attendance. 

“I think more people started coming this year because we invited more people. We would invite our friends, and they would invite their friends, who would invite their friends,” said Cruz. 

The club has developed a group-friendly dynamic with small group discussions and more member participation overall.

“Book Club is supposed to symbolize connection, interest and passion. We don’t want to create this super imposing environment,” said Denny. 

Meetings consist of three stages: icebreakers, a brief summary and discussion of the book and voting on the book for the next month. Some guiding questions are provided for discussions, but members are welcome to discuss anything pertaining to the book.

“Everyone there is so nice, and discussions are friendly and hilarious,” said senior Andy Ramzy. 

Before questions are presented, the presidents provide a summary of the book for those who have not read it or need a refresher, completed entirely on sponsor and English teacher Ms. Hicks’ whiteboard with countless lines connecting the characters and major events of the story. The discussions that follow generally include debates about the best character in the book, disagreements on a character’s motives or morality and friendly arguments about whether the book was actually good or not. 

“I just hope that it’s a safe space for people to express their opinions, and that they can be who they want without any fear of being judged,” said Cruz. 

While debates about which character Avery Grambs should have ended up with in “The Inheritance Games” can get heated, members get to enjoy a shared experience over a book they all read that month.

“Even if someone hasn’t read the books, everybody’s always just bonding about something,” said junior Ivy Baah.

Members suggest books to include in the month’s selection, and everyone votes on the book they want to read for the next month at the end of the meeting. As a recent change, if a member wishes, they can get up and make a case for their book recommendation.

“I decided to offer it as an option on the recommendation form because my ultimate goal is to help members make educated guesses about the book they’re choosing and get to know the people of the club more,” said Denny.  

The club aims to unite students of all grades to discuss their shared interests in books and to make friends. Many members have expressed the success of this goal.

“I love to read, but never had anyone to talk to about the books until I found Book Club and met some of my closest friends,” said senior Mia Chetelat.

The club’s open and interactive environment allows members to quickly make new friends with the same passion for books, hoping to combat the common challenge of finding a close-knit community that shares the same interests.

“I love how many new friends I’ve met through our mutual love of books,” said Chetelat. 

Last year, five of the members ran into each other at author Leigh Bardugo’s meet-and-greet for “Hell Bent,” the sequel to “Ninth House,” which the club had previously read. 

“I thought, ‘I know those people, and we all really have the same interests,’” said Denny, who attended the event. “It was sort of reassuring that we’re not weird, other people are like us and it was super fun.”

Meetings are held once a month in room 1141, and more information can be found on the club’s official Instagram page at @wshsbookclub_.