Kristi’s Christmas brings cheer to children

It was the most special morning of their lives.

Two weeks ago, the 24th annual Kristi’s Christmas changed the lives of over fifty underprivileged children from Fairfax County schools. Kristi’s Christmas gives high school students the opportunity to use their time to help children who come from poor homes, or who have no homes at all. Students from all over the area, including a great number of WS students, participated.

“It felt amazing to know that I was helping other people and making a difference in their lives,” said senior Caitlin Arneson.

In 1987, the first year of the event, the WS girls Varsity basketball coach, Bill Gibson, joined ranks with Kristi’s Christmas, and the two groups have been working together ever since. The program works by partnering each volunteer with one of the underprivileged children, making them the child’s “buddy” for the day.

After a delicious, filling breakfast, the buddies head over to Target to shop. The children get to pick out and keep up to about $115 worth of necessity apparel: socks, shirts, pants, undergarments, shoes, etc.

Following a quick snack in Target’s mini-restaurant, the buddies get the chance to meet with Santa and receive another present consisting of school supplies and blankets, and a cuddly teddy bear that is larger that some of the children themselves.

The children form sibling-like bonds with their high school buddy, and the joy on their faces as they receive love and attention that may not be given to them at home, is one of the most rewarding parts of the entire event.

“That is what Christmas, to me, is all about… you are giving to someone less fortunate,” said Karen Brown, the founder and organizer of Kristi’s Christmas.

Brown began the tradition of Kristi’s Christmas in honor of her daughter, Kristi Brown, after her death. Kristi had helped needy children as a teen, so Karen designed the event as a way to remember her daughter.

“Well, it is a work of love for sure and in memory of a very special person… I feel she is looking down on this project with a huge smile and is very pleased,” said Karen.

The money to support Kristi’s Christmas is provided by charities, businesses, church groups, and the Rotary Club, just to name a few. One-hundred percent of the money goes for the cause; not one cent is spent on anyone or anything but the needy children and their special gifts.

“It was very rewarding. You don’t realize how much the little things matter to you until you’ve seen them given to underprivileged children,” said Arneson.