Drama finds success at VHSL One Acts

!ssalC amarD decnavdA snoitalutargnoC

For those who didn’t take part in the VSHL One Act Competion, that was “Congratulations Advanced Drama Class,” for their top-tier performance of ‘slasreveR neveS’ or Seven Reversals in Regionals.

The play, written by Alan Haehnel, reverses certain elements including blocking and lines.

“I was in a scene where it was like ‘Clue,’ except everyone was trying to prove themselves guilty instead of innocent,” said junior Molly Keeter.

The script was harder than most because the actors had to memorize abstract lines and use a different process of thinking. The plot and even some of the words run entirely backwards, so the performers had not only the task of understanding the play, but ensuring that the audience understood it as well.

Other schools, such as Lake Braddock, also had the advantage of a fully-equipped stage.

“[We had] limited spotlights, differences in the stage, and apparently their techs communicated telepathically,” said senior Kent Kachejian.

If anything, the lack of advanced equipment helped the cast by pushing them to fully embody their talent and charisma.

While the complaints about the production were practically nonexistent, the cast members still felt a measure of nostalgia for time and sleep.

“We gave up Friday afternoons,” said Kachejian. “I missed Friday afternoons—a lot.”

The combination of lack of sleep and lack of free time did not deter the cast from pulling forward. Some schools started preparing months before ours did, so leveling the playing field meant not only working during class, but also spending hours after school sifting through and rehearsing the convoluted script.

“To be honest with you, I do not even know how long we rehearsed,” said senior Kathleen Barth. “It all felt like a blur.”

The cast was not alone in their pursuit. Drama teacher Jo Levesque, the Theatre Department’s booster parents, and of course the tech crew helped transform the production from an idea to a reality.

While the class had the first semester to bond over assignments, “slasreveR neveS” really tightened their friendships. The production was much more than a hobby or something to put on their resume—it was a chance to do what they love while being with the people they love.

“It’s like having a second family,” said junior Billy Millard. “I mean shouting ‘FOR NARNIA!” just before a play isn’t usually my cup of tea but it felt good to be sounding silly because I was doing it with my friends.”

Once at the competition, the cast felt nervous but prepared and ready to have a good time. Despite the competitive aspect, they kept their cool.

“Going into districts our goal was to just be funny, put on a good show, and represent our school well,” said junior Brittany Morgan. “After making it to regionals, our goals didn’t change.”

Their approach worked, evident by both the laughs from the audience and their high ratings amongst the judges. After not expecting to even make it to regionals, placing in the top half is not too shabby. The cast left with a second in Districts, fourth in Regionals and sense of accomplishment.

“It was great that I was actually doing something with my life rather than sitting on Facebook all day,” said Millard.